What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Perpendicular drilling, free hand

Dorfie

Well Known Member
Does anybody have an easy, practical way to drill perpendicular to the surface using hand held drill. I find it especially challenging drilling the door hinges (RV10) from inside! Any slight angle and the screw heads on outside highlights your mistake.
Thanks.
Johan

I would just eyeball it best as you can. If you don't like the result, glass it in and try again. Once completed, those screws will only be visible to NBA players.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Do you normally centerpunch first before drilling? This helps tremendously and the only other idea I would have is to create a drilling fixture if you feel it's worth the trouble.

I like to use this. In tight spots I've used the center guide without the plastic housing.

http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=25783

539.jpg

When drilling into something shiny like aluminum, look at the reflection of the bit and the bit itself - they should be a straight line, not a 'V'. You need to look both from the back and from the side.

Yes there is

You can either cast a shadow that lies 90 degrees from where your eyes are, or use a vanity mirror. I prefer my "bean bag" mirror. It lays where and at what angle I place it, allowing me to "eyeball" 90 degrees from two positions at once.

Dan,
I am not a subscriber to Kitplanes. I have so many subscriptions (professional and recreational) that I am slowly letting go of some. Please tell/motivate/educate me what Kitplanes bring to the table that makes it worthwhile.
Appreciated. Johan

Johan, it depends entirely on your needs.

In the context of this thread, I can tell you the Kitplanes crew is pushing very hard to maximize homebuilder content...hardcore how-to coverage of subjects useful to those who build and maintain EAB aircraft. It's an area nearly abdicated by others.

I can also say the subject list is far larger than you'll see here....fabric, woodwork, and welding being just three of many examples.

Is it for you? The only way to find out is to gamble $18 or so, for which you'll get both the future issues and the online archive of past material. If you like it, great. If you don't, the magazine did not meet your needs, and I know the editor will really appreciate hearing how it missed the mark.

Last edited:
I subscribe to 8 aviation mags. (it's an illness). Kitplanes is my favorite, by far. Sorry for the thread drift.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Back