What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anchors in baggage area

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
While going through the naked baggage area during my annual, I would like to take the opportunity to install anchor points to secure baggage. I would appreciate any suggestion on what to use as hardware and where to install it safely without endangering the whole structure's strength.

Added Nut-Plates

I added six nut-plates to the back inside of the roll bar and tapped two holes in the back of the U Channel. I will add nut-plates to the back bulkhead when I determine the best location. I will make aluminum eye bolts in my lathe for tie points.

While going through the naked baggage area during my annual, I would like to take the opportunity to install anchor points to secure baggage. I would appreciate any suggestion on what to use as hardware and where to install it safely without endangering the whole structure's strength.

Last edited:
Vans sells these Ancra tie downs. These are used in baggage bays of airliners and in cargo aircraft, I have used them in several pick up trucks and utility trailers. They may be a little overkill for your application.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bi...1498-392-558&browse=airframe&product=tie-down

We use those at Boeing Flight Test to secure ballast and all manner of things carried for flight test purposes. Emergency equipment, tool kits, coolers for the crew etc.

Fairleads

I bought a pair of Van's tie downs, but ended up using some marine fairleads which are used to route ropes on sail boats. I found them at my local West Marine store. They are very light weight, inexpensive, small and easy to hook a bungee or line into. It's a low cost solution and I think they're pretty strong if you use a doubler on the back side. You can mount lots of them around the compartment without much difficulty.

John

Thanks fellows, I am going with the solution of Mike S in Sam's suggested thread, just to put myself back in my builder's shoes (which I have been missing for a year now :D)

Back