What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Condition of our conditional

brad walton

Well Known Member
Quick web search:
Conditional- depending on other factors or not certain
Condition- particular state of being
Our condition inspections are to determine the condition or state of being of our aircraft, right? Why is this misuse of the word so deeply ingrained?

Quick web search:
Conditional- depending on other factors or not certain
Condition- particular state of being
Our condition inspections are to determine the condition or state of being of our aircraft, right? Why is this misuse of the word so deeply ingrained?
Because we are an English speaking nation that slept through, disregarded or flat out ignored our English teachers in K-12 grade! :p

"English? We don't need to know no stinkin' English!" :D

Believe it or not, if you go to the FAA advisory circular that describes the requirement for the inspection - there it is referred to as a "conditional" inspection.

Dan

To further add to the confusion, both condition and conditional are inspections in FAA wording. By the way, regardless of the word, all definitions are subjective. Webster didn't invent the words, they just provide their interpretation and we choose to accept that as correct.
My general rule, if I can understand what you mean when you say it in context, it is a word, even if you can't find it in a dictionary.:D

Believe it or not, if you go to the FAA advisory circular that describes the requirement for the inspection - there it is referred to as a "conditional" inspection.
Dan

Not sure what AC you are addressing but Advisory Circulars are not binding.

Your operating limitations ARE! And they refer to the inspection as a Condition Inspection.

The air worthiness of the aircraft is ?conditional?, dependent upon the outcome of its inspection.

I am by no means an expert in the English Language (I come from the Mark Twain school of writing....), but in the term "Condition Inspection" as used here, the subject is the Inspection - the term "Condition" specifies the TYPE of inspection (it doesn't refer to the aircraft or its airworthiness). We are required by our ops lims to inspect the aircraft once per year to assure that it is in a "Condition for safe operation" -so we are doing an INSPECTION to determine the aircraft's CONDITION - hence, a "condition inspection".

Somewhere in Minnesota, a retired high school English teacher is either quietly rejoicing, or rolling over in her grave.... :)

And while we are in the "picky" state of mind.
There is nothing that says the condition inspection must be done annually.

It simply states that "No person may operate this aircraft unless within the preceding 12 calendar months it has had a condition inspection......".

i.e. If there is some other reason that you won't be flying, the inspection may be put off until you want to operate the aircraft.

It simply states that "No person may operate this aircraft unless within the preceding 12 calendar months it has had a condition inspection......".

i.e. If there is some other reason that you won't be flying, the inspection may be put off until you want to operate the aircraft.

Which is the same for an annual inspection:D

Here's a confusing one:
BFR: is it Biannual or Biennial.
Sounds the same but has two totally different meanings.:D

Here's a confusing one:
BFR: is it Biannual or Biennial.
Sounds the same but has two totally different meanings.:D

Not confusing at all. Before it was changed to "Flight Review" it was "Biennial Flight Review", meaning every two years.

Biannual would be twice each year.

Mel, you have read a few threads in your time. No pilot can actually spell.
Just glance at any thread using lose and loose. With loose parts, you may lose your life. And then you would miss going to your kid's spelling bee. Goodnight.

Unless you do the Condition Inspection at the end of the 12th month, finish it on the 1st of the next month...in which case you can squeeze 13 months out of it. :D

A bakers dozen...

Back