- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-22-2021, 12:59 PM

Default Dynon Intercom?

Trying to decide if I need the SV-INTERCOM-2S in my panel. What does it add?
Slo Fuse Completed 3-2-21
Wiring and Avionics Begun 3-3-21
QB Wings delayed until ?
Finish Kit expected 7-21
Thunderbolt EXP119 expected 7-21
2021 Dues Paid
Reserved: N52XL
Old 03-22-2021, 02:49 PM

It adds:
- Capability to switch between two radios (requires a single toggle switch to select the transmit radio).
- Ability to monitor a second radio.
- NAV audio output.
- Intercom
- Audio feed from the SkyView for warnings, AOA indications, EMS alarms, etc. The audio AOA indication is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
- Stereo music input (I listen to my Carly Simon library each cross country).

Carl
Old 03-22-2021, 03:00 PM

For its price, it's a good value, but in addition to wiring in a toggle switch to select the transmit radio, you really need (in my opinion) to wire in another DPDT switch so you can listen to COM1 only, COM2 only or both. I've done this and it really improved the experience because otherwise, you're turning the volume dials up and down on the coms themselves.
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Dynon Skyview HDX, Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Whirlwind 200RV CS Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
https://www.marksrv8.com
Old 03-22-2021, 05:57 PM

Default a different opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dickens View Post
For its price, it's a good value, but in addition to wiring in a toggle switch to select the transmit radio, you really need (in my opinion) to wire in another DPDT switch so you can listen to COM1 only, COM2 only or both. I've done this and it really improved the experience because otherwise, you're turning the volume dials up and down on the coms themselves.
I have a home-built intercom, but it works similarly to the Dynon - one switch for the TX feed, manipulate the volume controls for the RX. In practice, I use #1 99% of the time for TX, and #2 for monitoring ATIS, or 121.5, or some other frequency, etc., and turning it 'on and off' with its volume control is easier than finding the tiny select buttons on some audio panels. That reminds me - I need to test #2 transmit. I use it so seldom it might have failed months ago.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:36 AM

Sounds like I need to make room.
QB Wings delayed until ?
Finish Kit expected 7-21
2021 Dues Paid
Old 03-23-2021, 08:46 AM

Default Intercom

Hey RocketDoc,

If your interested I have a new out of box SV-Intercom-2S I purchased from another member and I went in another direction. If your interested I will let it go for $200 shipped. It is a horizontal unit which may be not what you need.

Thanks,
-Joe
Emp completed
Wings closed
Fuse in the works
Slider started
Lyc O-360-A1A ordered
2021 donation sent
Old 03-23-2021, 09:11 AM

Default Schematic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dickens View Post
Any chance of a schematic and switch part numbers?
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockitdoc View Post
Trying to decide if I need the SV-INTERCOM-2S in my panel. What does it add?
I went for the full Dynon avionic suite. The Dynon intercom unit combines all the sound outputs from the Dynon HDX, the remote radio, and other sound sources and output them to the pilot and copilot. Without the INTERCOM unit, I am not sure how the pilot and copilot can hear the radio with the Dynon radio setup. The Dynon HDX warnings including the bootup voice are also fed through the INTERCOM. There are also allowance for two COM sources. I only have one radio so the 2nd COM source isn't wired. There is a copilot PTT lockout if the pilot PTT is active. There is one input jack for other external device (music?). I am sure there are other features I miss but this is my first time attempt at wiring, and connecting anything this complicated.

Other note regarding the physical unit: the intercom unit extends about 4 inches back from the panel, and the wiring loom extends another inch past the connectors so you need to plan carefully. The most complicated about wiring this is to plan out all the soldering of the ground connections and to make sure they aren't cramped inside the small connector housing. I made two attempts at the wiring before getting it to talk correctly.
Avionics Installation -- 90%
Firewall Forward -- Prep for cowl install
Electrical -- 90%

Donation paid through 2021
Old 03-23-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatRV View Post
I went for the full Dynon avionic suite. The Dynon intercom unit combines all the sound outputs from the Dynon HDX, the remote radio, and other sound sources and output them to the pilot and copilot. Without the INTERCOM unit, I am not sure how the pilot and copilot can hear the radio with the Dynon radio setup. The Dynon HDX warnings including the bootup voice are also fed through the INTERCOM. There are also allowance for two COM sources. I only have one radio so the 2nd COM source isn't wired. There is a copilot PTT lockout if the pilot PTT is active. There is one input jack for other external device (music?). I am sure there are other features I miss but this is my first time attempt at wiring, and connecting anything this complicated.

Other note regarding the physical unit: the intercom unit extends about 4 inches back from the panel, and the wiring loom extends another inch past the connectors so you need to plan carefully. The most complicated about wiring this is to plan out all the soldering of the ground connections and to make sure they aren't cramped inside the small connector housing. I made two attempts at the wiring before getting it to talk correctly.
I'm sold. Intercom it is. I have taken note of our ground warning.
QB Wings delayed until ?
Finish Kit expected 7-21
2021 Dues Paid
Old 03-23-2021, 11:08 AM

I also would like some more info on the switch as I'm installing a Garmin GTR-200 com/intercom as a stand alone com 2. I don't like putting 4 extra head set plugs in.