What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GPS message

Azjulian

Well Known Member
I noticed I had a message today on my G3X it said “GPS receiver needs service.” The gps was still functioning properly, has anyone seen that message before ?

From the manual:
The internal GPS receiver in the specified GDU
is not responding. The affected GDU should be
serviced.

However it's most likely an antenna problem so double check the antenna/cable/connections.

Thanks Walt - interesting I need to check but I thought I had deactivated the internal GPS and configured to use the external one..

Thanks Walt - interesting I need to check but I thought I had deactivated the internal GPS and configured to use the external one..

You should always have at least one GDU (PFD usually) connected to it's own antenna like a GA26C.
If I do a 2 screen system they both get their own antennas.

Last edited:
External GPS Source Data

With a few limited exceptions, you will want to enable the GPS receiver on at least one of your GDU's. What external GPS source are you referring to using? Besides the GDU internal receiver, only the GPS 20A, or a Garmin transponder with a built in GPS receiver, is able to aid the ADAHRS in the G3X Touch system.

Thanks,

Justin

Back