What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mogas for Lycoming IO360-m1B

ariel_arielly

Dear friends,
I just want to make sure that the Lycoming IO360-M1B can run on Mogas (96 Octane).
As well as I know, Lycoming came out with approval for using Mogas. Is it true? Are there any limitations for it?
Thanks,
Ariel
RV8A
Israel

Someone else will chime in. The powerplant is actually the easy part of this equation. The airframe is full of potential gotcha's. Do a search here and other for Reid Vapor Pressure/Mogas/etc. The airframe can be configured to work but it takes thought and effort. Beware of anecdotal "evidence" stating that certain applications are alright. You'll hear plenty. Many times it works until it suddenly doesn't (usually a combo of factors). If your fuel system vapor locks, in most cases there is no immediate remedy.

Your airframe can be made to work with Mogas, just make sure you approach it with your eyes wide open. Best of luck.

Airframe

Fremasm ..... Is reference to airframe ALL fueling system components, less the engine? Thanks

Fremasm ..... Is reference to airframe ALL fueling system components, less the engine? Thanks

Yes - the rest of the fuel system, everything from the fuel filler cap to the intake manifold, has to compatible with mogas as well. Some materials that are commonly used for hoses and seals may not like the mogas.

The whole system, technically. Really depends on your approach. I'm sticking with Reid vapor issues versus material compatibility. A (formerly) typical mechanical engine driven pump with a booster requires more consideration of the liquid system than a system that relies on electric pumps, IMO. You're asking a lot of a system that requires suction to a relatively high and hot location. The boost pump would usually be mounted very low and probably in a cooler location. For this configuration, there is a possibility for recovery. The higher criticality/lower probability part to me would be the fuel system through the boost pump. No back-up or almost no chance for recovery if you get vapor there. There's not a single correct answer here, IMO. Whatever approach is utilized, the entire fuel system from the tanks through the PP, returns, and associated systems (power redundancy) has to be considered. Sorry for being vague but while the answer/consideration isn't very deep, it is broad.

I'm sure others will weigh in and many probably disagree. I'll state again, beware of anecdotal evidence that any particular approach is OK. This is a good topic to exercise any skeptical nature you might have. I have that in spades but then again, there's something wrong with me.

Last edited:
Back