What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Parts help needed

airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
I cannot find it on the few engine drawings I have, but on my IO 360B1B parallel valve engine, the valve rocker shaft has a pair of plastic plugs on each end to protect it from contact with the valve rocker cover - see attached pic. I broke one them today and need a replacement.

Can someone assist me with a replacement or a part number and source to order some?

I found this at Aircraft Spruce but I'm not sure if it's the right part. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/ep/bushings/flangedbushings.php

Thanks...

Attachments

• rocker shaft end.jpg
    rocker shaft end.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 185
I cannot find it on the few engine drawings I have, but on my IO 360B1B parallel valve engine, the valve rocker shaft has a pair of plastic plugs on each end to protect it from contact with the valve rocker cover - see attached pic. I broke one them today and need a replacement.

Can someone assist me with a replacement or a part number and source to order some?

I found this at Aircraft Spruce but I'm not sure if it's the right part. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/ep/bushings/flangedbushings.php

Thanks...

That is not the part you want. I don't know the part number, but it is in the Lyc Parts manual. Pretty sure all of the Parallel engines use the same part. Must have it in there, as it keep the shaft in full engagement with the bushings. Their purpose is not to protect the shaft, but to take up the space from the cover, as this is the method used to keep the shaft in full engagement with the bushings.

Last edited:
I found the one on SkyGeek (thanks for that) but they are 3-weeks leadtime. I called around and found a local shop with some in stock. Once I had the part number that was easy! :D

I found the one on SkyGeek (thanks for that) but they are 3-weeks leadtime. I called around and found a local shop with some in stock. Once I had the part number that was easy! :D

The Parts Manual is your friend...make sure you get one now.

I bought 8 of them from ACS last year when rebuilding Louise’s engine - SL12892 - a whole $2.75 each, and at that time, they were in stock.

BUSHING

Figure
Item Code Part Number Description Units per
Assembly
1 *♦AR 15F19957-28 ROD ASSEMBLY, Push (A total of 8 required) AR
*♦AR 15F19957-29 ROD ASSEMBLY, Push (A total of 8 required) AR
*♦AR 15F19957-30 ROD ASSEMBLY, Push (A total of 8 required) AR
*♦AR 15F19957-31 ROD ASSEMBLY, Push (A total of 8 required) AR
*♦AR 15F19957-32 ROD ASSEMBLY, Push (A total of 8 required) AR
*♦AR 15F19957-33 ROD ASSEMBLY, Push (A total of 8 required) AR
†♦AR 15F19957-34 ROD ASSEMBLY, Push (A total of 8 required) AR
♦AR 15F19957-35 ROD ASSEMBLY, Push (A total of 8 required) AR
♦AR 15F19957-36 ROD ASSEMBLY, Push (A total of 8 required) AR
♦AR 15F19937-37 ROD ASSEMBLY, Push (A total of 8 required) AR
2 ** 17F19357 ROCKER ASSEMBLY, Valve 8
3 74637 BUSHING, Valve rocker 8
4 LW-13790 SHAFT, Valve rocker 4
5 LW-12892 THRUST BUTTON, Rocker shaft 8
6 71481 RING, Oil seal, 3/32 diameter x 4-27/32 long 4
7 74887 SPACER, 33/64 I.D. x 7/8 O.D. x 3/8 thick 2
8 383-B NUT, 3/8-24 plain 16
9 STD-2090 NUT, 1/2-20 plain 18
AR SEE NUMBER 5

I've had many Lycoming cylinders off over the years and I do not recall ever seeing these thrust buttons. Probably a good idea, as I have seen a few rocker shafts wear a hole through the side of the rocker cover.

Later heavy boss Continental O-200 cylinders have a hole through the shaft in the middle, that gets a bolt engaged through the middle boss; this keeps the rocker shaft from having side to side shifting.

Back