-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-04-2020, 07:24 AM

I am receiving a lot of private messages and really appreciate it! Some good insight and suggestions. Keep them coming!
Old 12-04-2020, 07:35 AM

American Legend has been using the Continental Titan X-340 for a couple of years now and they are very happy with this engine.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 12-04-2020, 10:30 AM

How about we start sharing these good insights and suggestions? Probably a few of us interested.

Thanks,
-Joe
Emp completed
Wings closed
Fuse in the works
Slider started
Lyc O-360-A1A ordered
2021 donation sent
Old 12-04-2020, 10:44 AM

I agree that may be a good idea, however, the individuals who messaged me private probably did so for a reason. Up to them if they want to repost here in public.

I can say if building up your own kit, there are a lot of options and a lot of research to be done. Still working it but getting closer; I'll post my findings as I go.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:22 AM

Default There all good

All of the engine parts manufactures are good. Lycoming, ECI, Superior. Its the engine build shop knowledge base is what you want.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:37 AM

I have been in constant email contact with Aero Sport Power since my phone call with them. I have asked a lot of questions and am getting answers within minutes/hours; which is encouraging. I asked about the manuals I would need for this custom engine; overhaul, maintenance, operators, installation, etc. ASP will be sending the manuals via DropBox, as the files are quite large. I am curious if the manuals will be specific to their engines or if they will be common Lycoming manuals.

The quote should be coming next week; my gut feeling is it will cost as much/more than a new completely built engine from Vans or the like. Hope I'm wrong.

Stand by...
Old 12-05-2020, 09:14 AM

Default Superior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karetaker View Post
Howdy Jeff. Curious how long you waited on Superior to get back to you? Did you contact them via the engine quote page on their site, or did you leave a voice mail? I have done both and so far...silence.
Weird...I sent Superior an email three weeks ago requesting a quote on an O-320 and got a response/quote the next day! $30k for the 0-320.
Ed
Exempt but happily paid for 2021
Old 12-05-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karetaker View Post
I have been in constant email contact with Aero Sport Power since my phone call with them. I have asked a lot of questions and am getting answers within minutes/hours; which is encouraging. I asked about the manuals I would need for this custom engine; overhaul, maintenance, operators, installation, etc. ASP will be sending the manuals via DropBox, as the files are quite large. I am curious if the manuals will be specific to their engines or if they will be common Lycoming manuals.

The quote should be coming next week; my gut feeling is it will cost as much/more than a new completely built engine from Vans or the like. Hope I'm wrong.

Stand by...
My prediction is you won't save a lot, relative to a new engine, and you certainly won't have a warranty. On the other hand, you'll have a much better understanding of your engine. A fair trade? Maybe...
2019(?) RV-10
Old 12-05-2020, 09:25 AM

Default Superior/Lycoming/Titan

Hopefully someone here knows this answer. Is the Continental Titan engine a direct clone of the Lycoming, like the Superior engine is? The one thing I have always though better than lycoming about the Continental engine was the camshaft in the bottom of the engine intead of up in the top where it can drain of oil over time.
Ed
Exempt but happily paid for 2021
Old 12-05-2020, 09:31 AM

Thanks Ed. I'll try Superior again and see what gives. I'll leave the comment about wanting a kit out of the email and see if I get a reply.