What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin STC for certified aircraft

Mine looks like it is going to get one :) The AI just started acting up, and once it fails my partner and I may go this direction.

Get a replacement for the DG instrument and then the whole vacuum system can be removed.

Can a Garmin or Dynon unit be set up to only display heading in a compass rose format?

That sounds like the next step needed, short of a full Skyview or Garmin equivalent system

Last edited:
Where can we find the Approved Model List for this STC?
526 models could include some older orphan aircraft like my Bellanca Cruisemaster?

Darn, you have to keep your turn coordinator??? Why???

Still, always good to get rid of your vaccuum system ...

"as a standalone primary source for aircraft attitude or turn coordination information"

Ah, key word OR turn coordination.

Was hoping it would at least replace both ... but I guess not, for redundancy ... fair enough ...

You pay ~750$ for the certification though ... or roughly 50% premium ...

So even with the ASTM certification instead of full TSO/PMA, still hurts!

Garmin could make a killing on this ... same as dynon of course, but int he certified world, Garmin is a much better known entity ...

By way of comparison.

G5 about $2,150?? including accessory kit, optional battery and STC for AI or turn coordinator.

Sandia SAI 340 Quattro $2,995 (Gulf Coast Avionics) including install kit and backup battery. TSO for AI, ASI, Alitmeter and slip ball.

Fin
9A

The optional battery is not optional, it's required by the STC.

Correct Bob. My wording was not clear. I was making the point that the Sandia comes with an integrated backup battery whereas the G5 requires the battery to be purchased in addition to the G5 itself.

Fin.

By way of comparison.

G5 about $2,150?? including accessory kit, optional battery and STC for AI or turn coordinator.

Sandia SAI 340 Quattro $2,995 (Gulf Coast Avionics) including install kit and backup battery. TSO for AI, ASI, Alitmeter and slip ball.

Fin
9A

Good point! That unit it TSO'd for attitude indicator only as a *primary* instrument, so basically equivalent to the G5/D10A in terms of certificated installs ... So the Dynon/G5 units win hands down on price with that comparison ...

Back