to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-3
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2022, 01:56 PM

Default Transitioning to RV-3

Hello,

I'm in the process of buying a flying RV-3. All of my flying experience so have has been in 172.

Any tips on how to go about preparing to take on the single seat beauty ?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-23-2022, 02:22 PM

Get your tailwheel endorsement, and put some additional meaningful tailwheel practice time in your logbook.

Then book some time with a CFI who's a RV transition trainer. We have a list here: https://www.vansaircraft.com/rv-flight-training/

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Old 11-23-2022, 03:16 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Everything that Greg said!

The RV-3 is a push at to fly if you have tailwheel time - not just an endorsement, but additional hours beyond that, just to have a broader experience base. That’s for take-off and landing.

Getting the Rv transition training will prepare you for the wide speed range - an RV-3 is going to feel blisteringly fast to someone who has only flown a 172, and you’ll need to up your gains a bit….and you can do that in any short-wing RV.

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 11-23-2022, 04:37 PM

Congrats on the new RV-3! As said above, tailwheel experience and transition training is a must.

Here are four articles by Van himself that may be of interest to new RV pilots. I included the nose gear-related article for completeness.
Articles: "How to Fly an RV", "How to Land an RV", "How to Land an RV, Part 2", and "How to Fly a Nose Gear RV".

BTW, Some folks will argue that transition training is not a "must". That may be true for a small segment of the pilot population. But consider this information from Mike Seager (who has given the most transition training in RV's, bar none) when questioned by Van himself:

Last edited by RV8JD : 11-23-2022 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-23-2022, 04:42 PM

Here in the US your insurance company would set minimum tailwheel hours before they’d cover you. Not sure about Canada.
Old 11-23-2022, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
Congrats on the new RV-3! As said above, tailwheel experience and transition training is a must.

Here are four articles by Van himself that may be of interest to new RV pilots. I included the nose gear-related article for completeness.
Articles: "How to Fly an RV", "How to Land an RV", "How to Land an RV, Part 2", and "How to Fly a Nose Gear RV".

Thanks for posting these. I'm not able to access the How to land part 2 article though. That link is to a google drive as opposed to here on VAF.
Old 11-23-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Relic View Post
Thanks for posting these. I'm not able to access the How to land part 2 article though. That link is to a google drive as opposed to here on VAF.
I modified the link in my post above and it should be accessible to all. If not, shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a copy.

Last edited by RV8JD : 11-23-2022 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-23-2022, 06:45 PM

Thanks for all the tips. We don't have a tail wheel endorsement here in Canada and tail wheel specific training is pretty rare. All the transition folks there in the list are in the USA. I could make that journey if need be. Thanks again
Old 11-23-2022, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJr View Post
Thanks for all the tips. We don't have a tail wheel endorsement here in Canada and tail wheel specific training is pretty rare. All the transition folks there in the list are in the USA. I could make that journey if need be. Thanks again
Looks like Bruce Bohannon is not officially a transition instructor, but he does a lot of tailwheel instruction. In a Legend Cub if you need the signoff, and then in an RV-8 once you're tailwheel signed off.

Bruce Bohannon
(281) 889-8078
Old 11-23-2022, 07:27 PM

Even if you can get some RV time in an A model and tailwheel time in another brand, it would make a big difference. Transitions become easier the more experience you have and tailwheel airplanes have pecularities.

Have fun!