What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

POH?

I purchased a RV 7 with a O-320 (160 Hp carb) engine. I know it is experimental but one thing I missed in the prebuy was any sort of a POH. All it really has is the W&B and a 4 page document that is titled with the builders name, AC serial number and says “Operation Limitation” but nothing is filled out with any speeds. And it talks about limits during phase 1, phase II.

Looking for information on what should be in the aircraft and what you all do yourselves. I put my email below if it is easier to share.

Thank you,

Carl Koele
Ckoele at gmail.com

Last edited:
Carl,
Samples of POH’s on this site.
Home page.
Left side about half way down.

Boomer

That link states "regulations require an Operator’s Handbook". Is this a new regulation, I've not seen that before.

Mel...what say ye?

I noticed that also, and I don't believe that is correct for E-AB aircraft. SLSA and ELSA, yes.

Here is a previous thread on the subject:

Per Mel in Post #8 in the above link:

"POH is highly recommended but not required. The Operating Limitations issued by the inspector complies with the POH requirements."

Last edited:
While the test cards linked above are a great way to establish V speeds and other portions of the POH, I think they're only half the story. The POH should also have system architecture and emergency procedures in it. How your aircraft fails and how you should respond to it are mainly based on how it was built. If the aircraft didn't come with a wiring diagram, it would be prudent to list out the major components, which items are on which circuit breakers, etc. Having a POH from the original builder is a huge help since they know the layout the best, but if you didn't get one, you just need to spend the time to create enough documentation that makes you comfortable to go fly.

I purchased a RV 7 with a O-320 (160 Hp carb) engine. I know it is experimental but one thing I missed in the prebuy was any sort of a POH. All it really has is the W&B and a 4 page document that is titled with the builders name, AC serial number and says “Operation Limitation” but nothing is filled out with any speeds. And it talks about limits during phase 1, phase II.

The V speeds should be listed in either the Ops Limits or log book to complete Phase 1. Does your log book have the sign off for Phase 1? If so and the V speeds are not listed then it may not be proper and you may have to redevelop the V speeds. If it has not been signed off then you have other issues to complete Phase 1.

Looking for information on what should be in the aircraft and what you all do yourselves. I put my email below if it is easier to share.

Thank you,

Carl Koele
Ckoele at gmail.com

A POH isn’t required, however, the letter titled “Operating Limitations” must be carried onboard..

Back