What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gascolator Location

Snoho3

Well Known Member
I installed my gascolator per FWF plans (-9A) prior to installing the engine mount. I realized way too late that the drain for the gascolator is partially blocked by the lower horizontal member of the engine mount. And there is no cut-out or access to the gascolator per the plans in any case - necessitating removal of the lower cowl to actually sump the drain. All in all a complete mess. There are of course two sumps on the wing tanks, but these are not actually the lowest point in the system.

Posting here to see if others ran into this and what their solution was. Thanks for any thoughts/advice.

I installed my gascolator per FWF plans (-9A) prior to installing the engine mount. I realized way too late that the drain for the gascolator is partially blocked by the lower horizontal member of the engine mount. And there is no cut-out or access to the gascolator per the plans in any case - necessitating removal of the lower cowl to actually sump the drain. All in all a complete mess. There are of course two sumps on the wing tanks, but these are not actually the lowest point in the system.

Posting here to see if others ran into this and what their solution was. Thanks for any thoughts/advice.

Water will collect in the tank by condensation, rain, or pumped in with the fuel. The fuel system past the tank drains will not produce water except a minor amount in the float bowl. Therefore, the lowest part in the fuel system that matters in collecting water, is indeed the tank sumps.

The only thing you need after the sumps is a trash filter.

Gascolator location?

You ask for “thoughts/advice”:

My advice, the best location for a gascolator is on a shelf in your shop with any other antique parts from other 1930s era tractor parts you may own! :p

Gascolator location?

My advice, the best location for a gascolator is on a shelf in your shop with any other antique parts from other 1930s era tractor parts you may own! :p

Beat me to it. There is no need for a gascolator in an RV airplane.

Beat me to it. There is no need for a gascolator in an RV airplane.

Do you have any sort of filter in the fuel system? I’ve used inline automotive fuel filters in the past, but on this RV6 kit, I’m using an Andair gascolator mounted on the firewall, per plans. I bought the kit from a Vans engineer who did such a nice job on the gascolator installation and the SS line leading to it that I decided to keep it.

To the OP: you should be able to modify the way your gascolator is mounted on the firewall further from the firewall to permit clearance past the engine mount tube. Then what I did was pick up a small threaded brass nipple from Home Depot and a threaded female adapter that threads onto the nipple and the gascolator drain valve is threaded onto that. Total length is about 3” which puts the drain right at the edge of the bottom cowl. I don’t have a picture of the extension piece, but you can imagine how it would work, threaded in to the bottom of my gascolator.

74F131E5-784C-4B2F-BE68-B3385C0BAED7.jpg

AC9A66A7-AA90-4030-A817-E06F3BC46218.jpg

A 45 degree fitting on the bottom of the gascolator, with the check valve attached to that, should re-orient access to the gascolator quite nicely. A 1-1/8" hole saw will make a perfect access hole in the cowling, and you can plug it after checking with a 1-1/8" snap-in hole plug from Home Depot. Works perfectly, and won't clog like a filter will over time.

Do you have any sort of filter in the fuel system? I’ve used inline automotive fuel filters in the past, but on this RV6 kit, I’m using an Andair gascolator mounted on the firewall, per plans. I bought the kit from a Vans engineer who did such a nice job on the gascolator installation and the SS line leading to it that I decided to keep it.

Of course I do - I never said you didn't need a filter - I said you didn't need a gascolator.

ANDAIR 375 in standard location

I have a 9A and an ANDAIR 375 in the standard lower firewall location. I have no issues draining from it. It’s a little bit of a wiggle to get the bowl disengaged and reengaged for a condition inspection around the mount lower tube, but it comes down to pin alignment and oring lube. I used the two top bolt locations and an L bracket. The air blast shroud is my own.

I drilled a sample-tube size hole in the cowl, reinforced around the inside with 0.040” aluminum. The hinge line is not interrupted.

Interesting to see these pictures again. ;)

Attachments

• FF85F2AF-58D0-4C4C-AF72-7E2B062B8DBE.jpg
    FF85F2AF-58D0-4C4C-AF72-7E2B062B8DBE.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 228
  • D197C3AD-EA86-4404-B84D-F1C367AB0AF8.jpg
    D197C3AD-EA86-4404-B84D-F1C367AB0AF8.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Here is a photo of my Andair gascolator.
Use the Van's Standard location and support/reinforcement on the cabin side of the firewall, and fabricated a bracket for FWF. Added a short pipe nipple, F-F fitting and quick drain to extend to the bottom of the cowl.
The split rubber hose is just for vibration protection.

EDIT: I am running an IO-360M2S; at about 100-hours, no vapor lock problems. I drain the gascolator before each flight, with the fuel tank sumps.

Attachments

• JT Gascolator.jpg
    JT Gascolator.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Would it be fair to say that the posts Poo Pooing the gascolator are running fuel injection?

I too agree that they are not necessary in a FI setup, but it might be helpful to identify your system when commenting ...

Always vet your sources ! :D

Gascolator location?

Because? Serious question. I never gave it much thought, just put one in when I built the plane because that's what you do.
Mine is an O-360 normally aspirated and my gascolator has always been a pain to remove & clean the screen (which rarely has anything in it anyhow). I wouldn't mind replacing it with a filter if there's no downside.

Here's a thousand words. Hole drilled in cowling for access.

124_2439_1.jpg

Back