What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need your help resolving two squawks

schaplerrh

Well Known Member
Sponsor
First squawk: My RV7 seems to require more and more right rudder for normal cruise flight; didn't use to require any. No airframe or control surfaces damage. No prop or engine changes. No trim tabs on any control surface. What might be causing this change?

Second Squawk: Aileron trim using RV spring system no longer able to completely trim for level flight when adult passenger in right seat with fuel load approximately even between wing tanks. Can this be safely adjusted by pulling the cover panel and increasing the tension on the appropriate spring? Is there a better way to adjust/apply aileron trim to correct this situation?

Thank you in advance.
Robert
RV7

1. Look at your gear leg fairings so see if one slipped. This can put you a full ball out.
2. You might see if there is enough adjustment in that side aileron push tube end bearings to move it one way or the other to get the spring where you want it. Make sure you leave enough thread on your end bearings. If this does not work you can drill out the spring clips on the push tube and reattach an inch or so away.

Carl

Could it really be one squawk showing up in two different ways?

Your rigging changed in some way.

two squawks

Gil,

Interesting question. Do you have any suggestion where I might begin to look for evidence of a two-for-one rigging change or other cause(s)?

Robert

Gil,

Interesting question. Do you have any suggestion where I might begin to look for evidence of a two-for-one rigging change or other cause(s)?

Robert

The obvious stuff to check would be aileron rigging - neutral, throws and play - and then the gear leg fairings as mentioned previously for mis-alignment.

You need to jack up the plane to check the main gear fairings in a no ground load state.

Back