What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

does the builder have to fly off the 40 hours?

avee8tor13

Well Known Member
I was wondering if the builder is the only one that can fly off the 40 hours?

What if you are told you must sell the plane because of divorce, can the plane still be sold as a completed plane if it has not flown yet? Is the builder the only one that can fly off the phase 1 time?

Thanks All

Yes, you can sell the plane without the 40 hour Phase I test period being flown off.

However, the value/price of the aircraft goes up after the 40 hour test period is completed and the plane is "proven".

It will be up to the new owner to have the phase I test test hours flown off in accordance with operating limitations.

If it was signed off, it is also gonna have to be flown off in the test area. Not ideal, unless your neighbor buys it.

Ask your local FSDO for info about changing a test area. One of the guys here at RTS moved here from Oregon in the midst of his Phase I testing and the FSDO (I think it was the FSDO, anyway someone from the FAA) provided him with a ferry permit and new test area.

greg

New test area

The local FSDO can issue new operating limitations and, if necessary, a airworthiness certificate for a new test area. When I had to replace my engine on the plane I bought in Michigan, I needed both since it had to go back in to Phase 1 for 5 hours. Just required some paperwork and sitting down at the FSDO office to go over the operating limitations. I even got a 100nm radius in Oregon when the original one was only 50 nm.

The local FSDO or a DAR with function code 33 can amend the operating limitations for a change of flight test area.

As said before, anyone otherwise qualified to fly the airplane may fly the test program.

My RV6.........

Phase I was flown off by another pilot. When I finished mine I didn't even have a PL. After the phase I was flown off. I learned how to fly in it and got my license in the plane. Not an ideal way to do things..........

Back