What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

spark plug type

avengingangel

Well Known Member
Hi, need to replace my plugs for my ei system. its a lightspeed ignition,(i"ll check to see what number if it makes difference)
540 engine, current plug is a denso w24emr-c. Dont see it at aircraft spruce. What are others using?
thanks

Not exactly the same EI, but I use the NGK BR8EIX for my P-Mag. Get them online or the aviation aisle of your local auto parts store. Dan

thank you, your number sounds close to one i crossed with the denso. it came up as a br8ecm. I'll right down your plug number too. I'm placing a quick call to aerosport to see what they recommended, i hate to bother them with something like this but figure it doesnt hurt to ask since i am no plug expert.

The Denso W27 ESR-U is a cooler plug than the W24 and is better for your engine if it will work. You need to run them and then check the color.

A much lower priced replacement for the now expensive Denso, is NGK. For the W27, use NGK BR9ES. For the W24, use BR8ES. These plugs (NGK) go for about $2.45 each. But they also offer plugs that exceed the price of aviation plugs if that's what your after.

interesting read, thank you. Now i have the spark plug gap too, excellent.
So, what I figured is the cross plug for the 24emrc is the ngk br8ecm. These plugs are shorter. I may have a little less space than some because my engine has it's own enclosure. the longer would probably fit but I'll stick with the short.
So I'm going to go with the ngk because their local here and run around the same price. Please if anyone thinks the quality is better in the denso, or it will work better for my app then certainly tell me and I'll go with denso. Otherwise I would have kind of thought myself that the ngk should run at least equal. GTG?

I've always use the Denso Iridium IK 27, last a long time and I've never had any problem with them.

Back