What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

If you have Lightspeed ignition......

gasman

Well Known Member
Friend
How many hours are you getting form your auto plugs?

And what brand and # are you using?

Thank You.
Warren

I've had my current set of NGK plugs in for the last 130 hrs and the plugs are still in good condition. I just replaced my cylinders to comply with the ECI AD and will probably go ahead and install new plugs. I have a set of Iridium plugs on the shelf that I bought after I installed the NGK's.

As an aside: I changed my first set of plugs at 93 hours because the engine was not running quite normally and new plugs seemed to solve the problem. She started to run a bit rough again after about 45 hours on the second set and I replaced them with the set that I've been running for the last 130 hrs.

I'm pretty sure that my "plug problems" were really a connector problem. Even though I had done the "pull test" on the Faston connectors at the coil I discovered that one of the connectors came off way too easily when I was doing some maintenance the required me to remove the connectors on one of the coax leads.

I used the Lightspeed supplied W27-EMR plugs the first year, iridium IK-27's the second year, and now have a set of NGK's installed. I've noticed no difference in operation. Only difference for me was the price. I still have the iridium plugs, but will probably just buy NGK's each year and throw the old ones away - they're only about 2 bucks each. The advantage of the iridium is that the electrodes won't burn away as fast and should last 100K miles in a car..... not something we worry about in our airplanes.

NGK BR8IEX Iridium... cheap enough, change the on the condition inspection. I also carry a gapped set in the plane tool bag, just in case, as you're not going to find these plugs just anywhere.

Klaus does have a recommended replacement period for the wires. I had an issue where the connector at the plug on one wire was bad so I replaced the entire set. Kept some of the old wires for spares.

Plugs: W27EMR-C

Replace or regap @ each condition inspection or 100 hrs.

Advice from Klaus to replace rather than inspect and regap. Plugs erode and resistance increases over time used. This makes the ignition coils work harder and will eventually fail them.

Back