What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8A How fast is yours?

jeffmoreau

Well Known Member
I am in the process of installing my wheelpants and gear leg fairings.

How much speed should I expect out of my aircraft after installing these goodies.

I am running a Superior XP-IO 360 A1AD2 with a Sensenich fixed pith prop.

THe engine has the cold-air horizontal intake.

Can you guys list some of your cruise numbers? My engine manual lists the redline at 2700 rpm.

Does anyone routinely run their engine at max RPM?

Any information is greatly appreciated. Including power settings, altitude, OAT etc.

I have an IO-360, parallel valve with a vertical induction. Propeller is a Whirlwind 200RV.

I usually cruise LOP at 9500' to 11,500' and see 171kts TAS if I am solo. Fuel flow is just under 8gph. RPM is 2400. If I'm near gross that speed will drop to 168-169 kts TAS.

If I cruise ROP at the same altitudes and RPM, I will get ~176kts but fuel burn is significantly higher.

At 8500' density altitude, WOT, 100 degrees ROP, 2700 RPM I see 181kts TAS. I've only done that once or twice as fuel burn is horrific, and it's hard to get to 8500' density altitude around here without running into the ground.

I don't have much experience at lower altitudes, you'll have to get that info from a flatlander.

Fast enough for me....

I have a YO-360 A1A with a Hartzell BA CS prop. I get right at Vans numbers for speed. I'm always suspect of TAS accuracy even from my EFIS. On a recent trip to Oregon and back at 10.5 and 11.5 my TAS varied from 158 kts to 162 kts TAS. WOT (20 inches @ 10.5 and 19.4 @ 11.5) and 2400 rpm which is 61 and 59% power. We were at gross weight at takeoff (1900 lbs). With the carb, I run the EGT's at or near peak. Cruise fuel flow at these altitudes and power settings is 7.6 to 8.0 (one Plasma II EI). On this trip with 2 hour legs we averaged 8.6 gal/hour for the entire 8.0 hours flight time (one stop for fuel and food in each direction, first hour always 10 gal used climbing from SL to 10 - 11.5).

At lower altitudes (8.5 - 9.5) and solo, at 65% power I see 167-170
kts TAS. If I want to run 75% power my TAS jumps to 172-175 kts TAS.

Back