What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GPS new and old

DavePlaneGrips

Well Known Member
Hi all. I have a GNS-430W and KX-125 but I've just purchased a GTN-650. I was going to sell the 430 but I was thinking I might just keep it and have two navigators. Would that be ridiculous though?

Multiple Navigators

Multiple Navs is not ridiculous. My plane has two, as do many planes, especially those set up for IFR.

The bigger question is do you want to pay for two sets of database updates, because the GNS-430 and GTN650 are not sold as a package for database updates.

Multiple Navs is not ridiculous. My plane has two, as do many planes, especially those set up for IFR.

The bigger question is do you want to pay for two sets of database updates, because the GNS-430 and GTN650 are not sold as a package for database updates.

Lol good to know, thanks! I'm used to our club planes where a single navigator is considered a luxury.

Looks like Garmin has the OnePack, so for an extra 250 from the single nav subscription I can have both up to date, seems like an ok deal to me.

Looking at Dynon HDX with their ARINC module, it sounds like I can hook up both navigators but it will only pull WAAS from one, at least that's how I read it.

Planning hard IFR redundancy. I was happy with the single "CDI" backup the KX-125 offered, but the newer 430W (2017 upgrade) would make a better backup.

Hi all. I have a GNS-430W and KX-125 but I've just purchased a GTN-650. I was going to sell the 430 but I was thinking I might just keep it and have two navigators. Would that be ridiculous though?

Those radios are heavy. I'm happy with my single GTN-650, and I've been flying it since 2011 with zero problems. YMMV

Back