What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need engine overhaul shop recommendation please

Gash

Well Known Member
The IO-360 in my Cessna 172S school plane is ready for an overhaul. I've been quoted $23,000 by a shop here in Phoenix, but I'm wondering if anybody knows of other reputable engine shops I could reach out to. For this kind of money, I'd be a fool to not shop around a bit.

By the way, this thread is RV related because the income from the spam can school plane helps to pay for my RV-8. :) Thanks guys!

Thanks Mike! Those are actually the guys I'm talking to. Good reputation...almost too good. They're really backed up right now. Any other ideas? Google searches don't turn up much useful information when it comes to overhauls. I think word of mouth among the pilot community is a better approach anyway.

Have you considered a new engine, and selling the other one---

What condition is the existing engine in------are you only doing this due to TBO on an aircraft used to instruct??

I just re-engined the 172. Searched quite a bit and ended up going to Penn Yan. I thought they had the best deal (new parts/free shipping/warranty) and so far with only 10hrs on the new engine, it is running very well. Time will tell of course. I wasn't looking for anything fancy and only upgraded the jugs.

I'm certainly not an expert at this and was real cautious when spending that kind of money.

Have you considered a new engine, and selling the other one---

What condition is the existing engine in------are you only doing this due to TBO on an aircraft used to instruct??

That's pretty much what I'm going to do here. The plan is to do an engine core swap for a zero time overhauled motor that's on the shelf. That way I get the plane back up in the air as soon as possible.

The current engine is at 3,000 hours with beautiful borescopes and compressions in the high 70s. The airplane flies 3 or 4 times a day, so it's true what they say about engines lasting wayyyyy beyond TBO if they are well maintained and fly regularly.

Problem is that in a school operation, the insurance company says they won't cover any engine-related losses when the motor goes over 3,000 hours. It's a bummer, but gotta keep the insurance company happy. So a great engine that will probably have most parts within specs has to be replaced.

premier aircraft engines

To add another to the list... http://www.premieraircraft.net/ in Troutdate, OR (just east of Portland). I know the owner, Jim Desjardins, personally. I've had my 152 motor rebuilt by them and the core for my RV-10 motor has been rebuilt by them as well. Excellent work and a long list of satisfied clients. Not sure how backed up they are though.

Back