What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removable Skin Forward of Tipup

RONSIM

Well Known Member
Getting ready to do major panel mods ---- looking at removing top skin between tip up canopy and firewall and then reinstalling with No. 8 CS screws/nutplates when finished. This should enable me to install trays/wiring/etc. without bending my 75yr old body too badly and allow for future access, when needed.

Has anyone else done this?

Ron

Removable panel

544WB, which I purchased flying has one. I like it.

Larry Tompkins
544WB -6A
W52 Battle Ground WA

Last edited:
Yes,

I used stall warning access panels from RV10.
Don't have part #. Used 4 of them.

Works great.

4x4 IIRC.

Access panel

Personally I would cut in access panels
before I would make the entire panel removable.
You will have to drill larger holes and add nutplates
or rivnuts in the longerons to make the panel removable..
I have never seen this done well especially with number 8
Screws.

I would leave the panel riveted. Cut in access panels
and use #6 screws. I have seen this done well. It's easier and will
In my opinion, look nicer.

Last edited:
I did it during the building stage. I called Van's to discuss and they didn't have a problem with it. That's how the equivalent skin on the RV-4 is attached. It does make it nice during an annual inspection.

Dave
RV-6

If I ever built another RV, it would have a removable top front skin.

There are ways to do this and have it look nice and also not impact the strength of the longerons.

The builder of my -6 used nutplates and I have thanked him (posthumously) ever since. Getting access without having to spend weeks on your back in the foot-well is worth every screw. I think two large access panels would be almost as good and would avoid the corner damage that occurs on the one giant panel every time I remove it - no matter how careful I am. Make the access bi-lateral and as large as possible since you will need to get two hands in there with room to work.

Thanks, folks --

I will carefully review the process, but will certainly be adding some serious access!

Ron

So glad I did it!

Started my panel upgrade phase 1 --- adding a used Dynon EMS 120 to replace (8) round gages on my panel. Before starting, though, I cut access panels on both sides of the airplane forward of the tipup. I cut forward of the subpanel, aft of the firewall, above the longerons, and below the bracing from the firewall to the subpanel.

What a great mod!----- I can reach all across the airplane, and with the tipup access, am having no trouble reaching nearly everything, without getting under the panel, on my back.

Will try to get at least one pic linked.

http://i58.tinypic.com/10fw50m.jpg[/IMG]

Ron

Last edited:
Started my panel upgrade phase 1 --- adding a used Dynon EMS 120 to replace (8) round gages on my panel. Before starting, though, I cut access panels on both sides of the airplane forward of the tipup. I cut forward of the subpanel, aft of the firewall, above the longerons, and below the bracing from the firewall to the subpanel.

What a great mod!----- I can reach all across the airplane, and with the tipup access, am having no trouble reaching nearly everything, without getting under the panel, on my back.

Will try to get at least one pic linked.

10fw50m.jpg

Ron

There, now it works.

Back