What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon AOA head position

n2b8r

I've seen a couple examples of Dynon AOAs mounted on RV7 wings and they are all mounted aft of the main wing spar. When placing the AOA head similarly on my RV7A, the measured distance between the tip of the AOA probe and the leading edge is 13 3/4 inches. Mind you, the instructions say clearly under "mounting position" that distance should be between 2 and 12 inches and Dynon techs have little else but to remind me of their plain English.

Can anyone chime in about the mounting position of their Dynon AOA, it's function, and how you calibrated the appliance?

I'm a stickler for following clear instructions when they are provided and I am certain that Dynon's published limits our data fortified. But my conflict is in seeing a universal dismissal of those limits and a mounting of the head aft of the main wing spar.

Comments appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Jeff H
KWVI

Gretz mount

I used the Gretz mount and placed per his directions where you mention. Mine is not flying but there are lots of them that are and have it mounted there. Hopefully one will reply.

How critical is AOA mounting position

I elected not to go with the Dynon AOA so I made my own to use with the Van's pitot.

Works great...

My guess is that mounting position may not be that critical... Others may comment wrt more rearward mounting experience...

Hey Ron, That is great. That's a way that people can benefit from AOA with Dynon and use a different heated Pitot tube, if they are worried about the Dynon Tube freezing up.

I installed mine in the "standard" Van's mounting position using the Avery pitot mast. The last sentence in the Dynon instrucions on mount location states: "Testing during the probe develpment has shown that the standard mounting locations for the pitot probe in the RV series of aircraft also works for the Dynon probe."

I use an MGL Enigma and everything calibrates and operates as advertised. My being able to hold AoA in the pattern is another issue.

Dave
RV-6

I used the Gretz mount and placed per his directions where you mention. Mine is not flying but there are lots of them that are and have it mounted there. Hopefully one will reply.

Same location, same equipment, calibrated per Dynon Skyview instructions, works great.

Back