What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

pitot/AOA

Moondog

Well Known Member
I missed the class on pitot/AOA.

My bottom wing skin has a perfect (or perhaps perfectly useless) hole waiting for my Van?s pitot tube which is sitting on a shelf.

Can I ?simply? add AOA or is it necessary to start over with a more sophisticated pitot/AOA setup?

Sounds familiar. I patched the hole I had drilled for Van's pitot installation. Pulled the tank to add a line for the AoA and installed a Dynon heated pitot/AoA probe. Easy enough since the wings weren't attached.

Dave
RV-6

It depends on which system you go with David. If you choose a stand-alone AFS AoA for instance, you'll be adding upper and lower ports out near the wing tip, and use pitot as-is. Both Dynon and Garmin now use a dedicated pitot tube that has a third line for AoA - and for those, you'll need a specific pitot tube with a custom mount - very easy to do however.

In the RV12 forum we have discovered the following works well for Dynon systems and perhaps others. In the RV12 and maybe some others (?), Vans specifies a special pull (pop) rivet to be used as the static port. The center mandrel is punched out and tubing connected to the inside rivet projection. Well, a rivet like this placed in the leading edge of the wing, at a point on the bottom of the wing where the hole in the rivet is "pointing" down at a 30 degree angle difference from the pitot tube, works fine as the AOA source. No special combination pitot is necessarily needed to add AOA.

This was originally found using a basketball inflation needle (also works great, mine is like that) and someone later proved the rivet worked also. See this thread: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=34040

It depends on which system you go with David. If you choose a stand-alone AFS AoA for instance, you'll be adding upper and lower ports out near the wing tip, and use pitot as-is. Both Dynon and Garmin now use a dedicated pitot tube that has a third line for AoA - and for those, you'll need a specific pitot tube with a custom mount - very easy to do however.

I was under the impression that since AFS and Dynon teamed up, the AFS AoA could also use the various Dynon pitot's, or do the 2 small ports drilled near wing tip. Maybe I am misreading Ironflights post, or the info from AFS/Dynon.
John

Last edited:
The homemade AoA probe by Mich48041 using sports ball inflating needles would save $$.

And Paul?s retrofit using AFS Pro AoA may not be too difficult since most everything on my plane is still accessible.

The plan is for a G3X so I might just buy Garmin?s pitot/AoA to reduce my research hours. Thanks to everyone for their responses.

I was under the impression that since AFS and Dynon teamed up, the AFS AoA could also use the various Dynon pitot's, or do the 2 small ports drilled near wing tip. Maybe I am misreading Ironflights post, or the info from AFS/Dynon.
John

According to some correspondence I had with Rob Hickman last year, the AFS AOA can be used with the Dynon pitot tube. The bottom wing port on the AOA computer connects to the pitot tube AOA port, and the upper wing port can be left either not connected to anything or into the static system.

Homemade Dynon AOA probe

I made my AOA probe for my Dynon D100 system based on a post by Mel.
Note: the Piper probe has been removed since this photo.

IMG_5885.jpg

Back