What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Small Tinnerman Washers?

LifeofReiley

Well Known Member
I can't seem to find the thread. Who was it that located these? I need them for #8 screws, the ones I saw here were just a tad bigger than the head of the screw. Help... :)

One way to do this is to get Tinnermans for a #6 and drill them for #8s

Jim Berry
RV-10

Tinnerman

I purchased the Stainless Steel ones , made a mandrel for a stack of them , put them in the lathe and made them 0.10 smaller . I would like to know if you can purchase them in SS in the smaller diam.

Has any one tried the acid stain to turn stainless steel black ?
Tom

I used these types. Not from this supplier, but if you Google "#8 flush countersunk washers" you will get a lot of options.

www.clipsandfasteners.com/No_8_Flush_Washer_Nickel_On_Brass_p/a604.htm

One thing to be aware of. Most are not the same countersink angle. 100? vs 120???

Anyway, I would take a washer and then put the screw in it and tap it so that the washer reformed to the screw.

Hope this helps.

These would work to... nickel/brass. All will need to be dimpled to correct angle. THANKS! :)

GAH has them

Genuine Aircraft Hardware (in list of advertisers) has all the sizes and very helpful in locating what you need. That is where I found mine.

How many do you need?

I have 'em in #8. Dang near impossible to pick up if you drop 'em.

Carry on!
Mark

Last edited:
washers

100 degree stainless from Aircraft Spruce pn 04-00392 for #8 They also have countersunk washers that are just slightly larger than screw head but I can't find a pn on the website. Look in the print catalog.

I agree on that site - just can't ever find anything on it. Weird search functions, at least they used to be.
Still is, just tried for several minutes.....

Last edited:
I'm going to use these SS ones from Spruce.

nas390b6pm.jpg

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/finishingwashers.php

They are actually 82 degree ones, but a quick hit in the C-Frame with the right die makes them 100 degree. :)

These are from Wicks.

They are the same 82 degrees ones as the previous post, but not SS...

Wicks says they are 100 degree, but the spec says 82 degrees.

Interestingly the spec for the raised finish washer says they are 82 degrees, but can be used for both 82 and 100 countersunk heads. I still like the idea of 'adjusting' them with a 100 degree dimple die.

Last edited:
Was wondering? I have tried to drill the washers with little success, how do you
hold the washers while drilling without scratching them?

Was wondering? I have tried to drill the washers with little success, how do you
hold the washers while drilling without scratching them?

Sounds a lot like milking your own mice to get Mouse Milk.

Back