What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS antenna bracket high up under tip-up baggage area canopy?

shuttle

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed a GPS antenna on a bracket off the side of the F-732A channel running from the tip-up roll bar to the F-706A baggage area bulkhead? Have searched but no joy.

Would appreciate sight of some photos and reports on any issues encountered and the quality of the resulting signal reception.

I'm contemplating putting one GPS antenna each side of this channel. I would rather not install these on the glare shield, or FWF or externally on the aft top fuselage

Thanks,
Steve

I don't know if you have considered this but I have had my two GPS pucks installed under the engine cowling for 2.5 years and working perfectly, no reflections in the windscreen this way either.

Has anyone installed a GPS antenna on a bracket off the side of the F-732A channel running from the tip-up roll bar to the F-706A baggage area bulkhead? Have searched but no joy.

Would appreciate sight of some photos and reports on any issues encountered and the quality of the resulting signal reception.

I'm contemplating putting one GPS antenna each side of this channel. I would rather not install these on the glare shield, or FWF or externally on the aft top fuselage

Thanks,
Steve

Cheers

Yes

That's exactly where I keep the puck for my APRS tracker, mounted with velcro on the top of the puck and the baggage window at the top.

The primary GPS antenna is on the glareshield, and I separated them after an apparent interference issue between the two which I never understood - after I introduced the Delorme GPS to the glareshield, the Garmin 296 wouldn't lock on. Both work flawlessly when separated by a few feet.

-Bill

Why are you avoiding the glare shield?

These wires will take up some if the limited space to run wires through both spars. In addition, the extra wire length adds weight and complexity. Don't forget, you will need to secure them and God forbid, perform maintenance on them in the future.

(FWIW, I have four antennae on my tip-up's glare shield. My glare shield is covered in Velcro loop fabric so attaching them was easy and it provides a convenient place to stick pens.)

Yes that is an excellent location, put one on each side if you need to and no interference. Thread the coax up the roll bar and exit at either or both sides of the brace.

Back