What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail wheel bushing

flyenforfun

Well Known Member
Has anyone ever replaced a tail wheel bushing on the RV-8? Mine is worn and getting sloppy. I called Vans and they sell the bushing but the guy on the phone had no idea how to replace it nor did he know anyone who has ever done it.

I've never done one but like everything else, I am sure it's possible to replace and hopefully others will chime in on "how to". Might want to consider how much life is left on your existing tailwheel rubber. Also, what is your time worth? $35 gets you a brand new wheel & bushing, replaced in a few minutes.

Mounting socket bushing

I have looked on flyboy and the whole end is called a mounting socket. I believe there is a bushing in the mounting socket and that's what i want to replace. I'll get a good look tonight because I am taking it off for a new rocket link and tie down ring.

Matt,

Yes, there is a bushing inside the mounting socket. It is replaceable.

You can find the proper bronze bushings online, or at any good bearing supply store.

We use a better (well, more expensive and easier to work with anyway!) plastic type bushing, but the two aren't interchangeable due to the different flange thickness on the bottom.

It's not a dreadfully difficult job, but you may need a Dremel tool and a sharp chisel to get the old one out. The Van's sockets usually have a steel flange on the top that prevents simply pressing them out. (YMMV!)

Once you get the old one out, just press the new one in. The only hard part is machining the little groove where the locking pin travels. It can be done with a 5/8" end mill or just carefully use your Dremel cut off wheel.

Hint: take a photo of the whole shebang before starting for reference.

Or we can do it for you if you like. We don't have a set price. Just time, materials, and shipping. Each case varies.

Another hint: if the two AN3 bolt holes are egged out, just replace the whole thing with a new one.

Back