What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for tailwheel improvements

flyenforfun

Well Known Member
Hey everyone,

I've been searching around for various tailwheel improvements for my -8 and I've found alot of info on this forum but I wanted to get some more recent opinions from people who have been using some of the different products available who can attest to their longevity.

Here is what I am looking for:

Most importantly, I want to upgrade to a lighter tailwheel. Something that saves some weight over the stock wheel.

I'm looking for suggestions on fork upgrades.. what products are available and what makes it an upgrade?

Lastly I think I want to ditch the chains and give a link a try. Does more than one brand for this rocket link exist or is "Rocket" the brand? Has everyone had good luck with these? No failures or issues?

Thanks for the help as always.
-Matt

Bell Tailfork a vast improvement in looks / ground clearance over Vans stock at a small weight penalty. Other similar brands available.

Vans do a "lightweight" tailwheel, but does not get great reviews on longevity.

I find chains work well, so no opinion on "link".

Do you really want lightweight back there? On many RV-8s, getting CG back is beneficial, and this is the most effective means. Depends on prop / battery / "mission".

The lightweight tailwheel from DJM has been outstandng on our -3. 240 hours, lots of landings, virtually no wear, and sealed bearings.

Bell Tailfork a vast improvement in looks / ground clearance over Vans stock at a small weight penalty. Other similar brands available.

Vans do a "lightweight" tailwheel, but does not get great reviews on longevity.

I find chains work well, so no opinion on "link".

Do you really want lightweight back there? On many RV-8s, getting CG back is beneficial, and this is the most effective means. Depends on prop / battery / "mission".

I will be switching to a Catto prop this summer and my CG will most likely move aft significantly.

I was the original Beta tester for the rocket steering link some 10-15? years ago. And I have flown with one ever since.
Seven years ago I switched from Van's tail fork to the one that Vince Frazier sells and it has been going strong, 700 hours, since then. It is a great improvement on the original equipment.
Vince also sells a tail wheel with sealed bearings and I have about 500 hours on that unit so far with no issues. It is lighter then the stock unit but I have not tried some of the other "light wheels"

I second Paul's comments regarding the DJM tailwheel.

As for the fork, I have The Doug Bell fork and it has worked great for almost 500 hours.

I have only used chains but have them installed with AN42B-5 eyebolts, sticking up at the tailwheel and down on the rudder horn.

This eliminates the wear of the aluminum rudder horn and allows the bolts to be replaced when they wear / elongate.

I would suggest you start with the chains and change them later, if you don?t like them.

Tailwheel

My set-up... Vince Frazer tailwheel fork (hard chromed to stop stone chips), standard Vans wheel, NO chains or steering link. Free castoring is the way to go. It is simply the nicest ground handling taildragger I have ever taxied/landed IN ALL CONDITIONS.

I've been using the Flyboy Accessories tail wheel and steering link for about
3 years now. No problems, works great. The guys at Flyboys are really great to work with. I really like the sterring link system instead of the chains.

I was the original Beta tester for the rocket steering link some 10-15? years ago. And I have flown with one ever since.
Seven years ago I switched from Van's tail fork to the one that Vince Frazier sells and it has been going strong, 700 hours, since then. It is a great improvement on the original equipment.
Vince also sells a tail wheel with sealed bearings and I have about 500 hours on that unit so far with no issues. It is lighter then the stock unit but I have not tried some of the other "light wheels"

I have a set up similar to Tom's (with about 2 years less). (I may have purchased my link from Tom - I forget - but it was wonderful doing business with the seller!) No issues (keep everything clean and lubed, change the link sleeve every year or 2). Vince's tail wheel improves your forward vision attitude on the ground (lifts the rear an inch or 2 over Van's tail wheel). I also fitted a Van's tail wheel fairing over Vince's tail wheel (I'm still "tweaking" the fit, but it looks "cool"). If you had chains and Van's tail wheel, you will feel like you have power steering after swapping those items out with the rocket link and "Y" fork tail wheel.

Do you have a link where this stuff is available?

I second Paul's comments regarding the DJM tailwheel.

As for the fork, I have The Doug Bell fork and it has worked great for almost 500 hours.

I have only used chains but have them installed with AN42B-5 eyebolts, sticking up at the tailwheel and down on the rudder horn.

This eliminates the wear of the aluminum rudder horn and allows the bolts to be replaced when they wear / elongate.

I would suggest you start with the chains and change them later, if you don?t like them.

Is the Bell fork still being made and do you know where I can get one? I like the look of this fork.

Rocket link

Good day, I have about 250 hrs on a Rocket steering link (Had to replace the bent rod once at annual), a modified Vans fork (to raise the tail about 1 1/4 in ) and the light weight billet wheel from Vans, LOVE the combo, no wear that I can see, you won't be sorry.:)

Here's what I got. Plus the Rocket steering link. I haven't went to a lighter tailwheel....yet but will when this wheel is worn out. 180hrs and wouldn't change anything. When I was building I had several people tell me....use chains first, the steering rod will be too sensitive. But I had only 10 hrs of RV time prior to taxiing so I didn't know any better. The steering link on a RV handles excellent, I had it figured out before I got halfway to the runway.

http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/st...ducts_id=267&zenid=er5pkbeg3iqjdmp252paum87p0

I have the "Deluxe" composite tailwheel from Flyboy Accessories.

http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/st...dex&cPath=66&zenid=er5pkbeg3iqjdmp252paum87p0

It's not quite as light or pretty as the DJM tailwheel, but costs nearly $50 less. I think it's much better than the original stock Vans tailwheel that was on my RV-6 when I bought the plane since it's got sealed bearings that don't sling grease all over the place and it weighs about 6 oz less, and every little bit of weight savings on the tail helps since I've got a wood prop and the potential for aft CG issues like many similar RV-6s. The rubber compound on this tailwheel seems to be wearing almost identical to the original stock tailwheel too, so lifespan will likely be the same.

I've also got a Rocket Link, it came with the plane. My first 25 RV hours were in an RV-4 with chains, and I've now got almost 150 hours in RVs equipped with the Rocket Link, and about 10 in an RV-8 with a stuck tailwheel locking pin and thus free castoring :p. All three types are perfectly easy enough to taxi with on the ground once you get used to them, but I do prefer the Rocket Link.

JD Air Tail Wheel Info

Matt,

The tire we sell is the DJM tire. It's the best one out there. $118 in stock. More info

Our fork provides all the benefits of any other only without the weight penalty. It's available plain or black/white powder coated. Very reasonable priced at $155 and in stock. Fork info

Our Tail link is second to none in quality and performance. Tail Link info. Tested and very proven design. Many of our customers have switched from other tail links and reported back very happy with the product.

We also offer the only ball bearing yoke that provides incredible tailwheel control and reduced maintenance. Check out the post with photos and video Here

Currently we have free shipping on orders over $150

If you or anyone wants to put together a combo that we don't currently offer on the site. Just call or email I'll put something together so you can save a few bucks.

Last edited:
I'd like to thank everyone for the nice words about our products. It is a good feeling to know that other RVers are happy with our efforts!

We have a full line of tailwheels products, everything from the rod springs to the sockets, control arms, forks, the ORIGINAL RV/Rocket steering links, and tires. Find them here.

Lot's of other stuff too, canopy latches, graphics, tools, Gustbusters, internal rudder stops, intake adapters, rear seat rudder pedals, oil filter cutters, gear leg stiffeners, seat heaters, canopy breakers, marking gauges, rod end bearing tools, paint protection film, wing walk tape, 3M weather stripping, firewall and cowling insulation, Nomex gloves (including brown), Vedalo sunglasses (the absolute best and lightest), and a bunch more stuff that RVers won't find elsewhere.

Thanks!

Bell fork reply

Matt,
We're still here making and shipping forks. Let me know if we can help.
my email is the best way to reach me [email protected]

Thanks for all the kind comments from our customers who have made comments here. You have good choices whichever you choose.
Doug jr.

So I think I've pretty much decided that I am going to go with the DJM lightweight tailwheel. It seems to be the most widely used lightweight tailwheel option.

I am still trying to decide on which fork I want to go with. Strength is of course my top priority, but seeing that they all seem to stand up to the test, light weight is my next priority here along with the added clearance. Should also add some wheel pants clearance as well.

I am also on the fence about switching to the rocket link. I like the look and the reduced drag benefit, but I am a bit nervous about it being too touchy compared to the chains, especially in a crosswind. Thoughts?

link data

The link feels like tight, new chains. Very direct acting - no slop in the steering.

Data point: one fella had his link go south, and operates without any steering. He sez it's fine that way. Hmmmmm...I'd prefer a locking mechanism at minimum (locks the wheel straight until unlocked).

Carry on!
Mark

Lose/tight springs or Link, try it all

It seems some people like loose springs, some like tight or the links. People seem to feel tight chains are too sensitive or too sensitive for their skill level. Particularly while they are in that stage of over-controlling. I tend think of it as driving a car down the freeway in reverse. It's seems better to me, to do that WITHOUT a bunch of play in the steering wheel.

Do what you're comfortable with first and then try it the other way. Thats the only way you will know for sure.

If you choose one of our Links and are not 100% happy or find it to be too sensitive after a few try's we will take it back and refund the money. You can almost try it for free.

Rocket link sensitivity

Matt,
I have flown Maule tailwheels with chains, Scotts with chains (broke one on landing in a Super Decathlon in a crosswind, that got my attention!), RV-7 stock set-up with chains and the Rocket link on my RV-6. I would not describe it as sensitive, just precise and solid, it really only does what you tell it to. Kind of like comparing the old Armstrong steering boxes' vague on centre feel, when compared to a rack and pinion steering unit. I did notice a few differences when I changed from the stock tailwheel to the billet wheel, the billet wheel's rubber is much softer and seemed to be much quieter too.

When I landed at Oshkosh, the parallel concrete surface ribs seemed to set up a high frequency resonance on the stock wheel, and it flung grease all over the bottom of my rudder, that is no longer an issue with the sealed bearings. I do however notice a bit more effort on the rudder pedals when turning at slow speeds, I believe due to the softer rubber gripping better and not skidding at all as the harder stock rubber may have done. The difference in the rubber may have been due to UV aging of the stock wheel, but I have not noticed the billet wheel rubber getting any harder, my RV-6 is always hangered, hope this helps. Oh, by the way, I liked the Rocket link enough to install one on my One Design project, albeit with the stock, small, One Design tailwheel (Aircraft Spruce set-up), it remains to be seen how that setup will feel.

Last edited:
Matt,
I have flown Maule tailwheels with chains, Scotts with chains (broke one on landing in a Super Decathlon in a crosswind, that got my attention!), RV-7 stock set-up with chains and the Rocket link on my RV-6. I would not describe it as sensitive, just precise and solid, it really only does what you tell it to. Kind of like comparing the old Armstrong steering boxes' vague on centre feel, when compared to a rack and pinion steering unit. I did notice a few differences when I changed from the stock tailwheel to the billet wheel, the billet wheel's rubber is much softer and seemed to be much quieter too.

When I landed at Oshkosh, the parallel concrete surface ribs seemed to set up a high frequency resonance on the stock wheel, and it flung grease all over the bottom of my rudder, that is no longer an issue with the sealed bearings. I do however notice a bit more effort on the rudder pedals when turning at slow speeds, I believe due to the softer rubber gripping better and not skidding at all as the harder stock rubber may have done. The difference in the rubber may have been due to UV aging of the stock wheel, but I have not noticed the billet wheel rubber getting any harder, my RV-6 is always hangered, hope this helps. Oh, by the way, I liked the Rocket link enough to install one on my One Design project, albeit with the stock, small, One Design tailwheel (Aircraft Spruce set-up), it remains to be seen how that setup will feel.

Thanks for the info. I ordered a fork and lightweight tailwheel. I think I will install those and get the feel of it then give the rocket link a try.

How far along are you on the One Design? I currently fly a DR107 a friend of mine built. It is an incredible airplane to fly. Took some time to get used to the landing, but that thing is FUN.

So I think I've pretty much decided that I am going to go with the DJM lightweight tailwheel. It seems to be the most widely used lightweight tailwheel option.

I am still trying to decide on which fork I want to go with. Strength is of course my top priority, but seeing that they all seem to stand up to the test, light weight is my next priority here along with the added clearance. Should also add some wheel pants clearance as well.

I am also on the fence about switching to the rocket link. I like the look and the reduced drag benefit, but I am a bit nervous about it being too touchy compared to the chains, especially in a crosswind. Thoughts?

Hi Matt,

I have DJM wheel on my own plane and is great, I have a tail fork from Alex Dedominic RVtraining and is great to. Now I have been looking for JDair yoke, Hernan Santibanez bought all tail wheell package and parts looks incredible, I really like the yoke with bearing instead bushing.

Happy flying

Matt.... I've been using the Rocket link since day one. 3 years & 200+ hrs.
It's clean, streamlined, no fuss, no muss. It's a lot easier than dealing with the chains. I'd call it very nicely responsive!...

And never any issues in a heavy crosswind?

Well.. There's always issues in a xwind Matt. But none that I've seen that were exacerbated by the Rocket link. One caveat is make sure the locking part of your tail wheel works like it should. I've flown nose daggers for so long that when I started flying my -8 I didn't realize it wasn't locking. It was in full caster ALL the time. I even wore out a set of brake linings! Early on a good friend pointed out the problem. When rectified I was amazed. Once you get the tail on the ground and the stick back the Rocket Link takes over nicely. Very responsive. So far I haven't had to use differential braking because of a Xwind. When wind is that bad I figure it's no fun to fly anyway. I'd say put the Rocket Link on. If your curious go to chains..... I'm sure you'll go back to the link! Fred... :)

Back