What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What adhesive will work on RAM mount?

RVbySDI

Well Known Member
I need to mount a RAM mount ball to the triangle gusset of the windscreen frame. Here is a picture of where I am wishing to secure the RAM mount:
IMG_0202.JPG

My question: Can anyone suggest an adhesive that will allow me to mount the RAM in this location that will withstand the weight of an iPad?

I have PLIOBOND that I can use but does anyone know if this will be strong enough for this application?

Any other thoughts on what will bond the aluminum RAM mount to the powder coated steal windscreen frame?

Adhesive? There is probably something out there strong enough Steve, but I'll tell you - we have a RAM ball mounted with screws onto the cockpit sill underneath that (on Mikey), and when you get into bumps with a GPS mounted on it, you shoudld see the sill flex! I am dubious about the the prospects of an adhesive holding for very long (and let's not forget the heat just plane melting it off....), given that it is not a "smooth" pull.

Just an opinion of course!

Paul

Paul, Thanks for the input. I have looked at mounting on that horizontal gusset just in front of the triangle but I don't think I can get an arm to articulate out away from the dash curve enough to make it function there. This gusset would work fantastically if I can figure out how to mount it there.

I am open to any other suggestions for how to secure a mount for an iPad.

What about those two bolts below the triangle? Could you fab something that you could put screws into for the mount & use the bolts to secure the assembly? The gussett would hide the nuts/platenuts on the backside. Just a thought.....

Yes Sam, I like that idea better than the adhesive route. I know those nuts underneath are a royal pain in the . . . to get to but it will just take some choice words and perseverance to get to them.

.... I know those nuts underneath are a royal pain in the . . . to get to but it will just take some choice words and perseverance to get to them.

Steve,
I have similar grief on my tipup where the lift strut ears attach. I made a thin plate that has two platenuts in it that I slip inside the side flange. The platenuts are on the same centers as the screws. Once I get one screw started, then the other is automatically lined-up; plus I don't need to snake a wrench up inside the flange.
In your case, I'm not sure if it would be structurally equivalent, ie: platenuts vs. regular nuts.

Last edited:
Roll bar bolts work great

What about those two bolts below the triangle? Could you fab something that you could put screws into for the mount & use the bolts to secure the assembly? The gussett would hide the nuts/platenuts on the backside. Just a thought.....

I mounted a small horizontal plate using the 2 rollbar bolts but I did mine before I installed the nuts. I originally had a 496 mounted on the plate but later replaced it with a 696.

When I installed the 696, I used the small RAM ball mount that you want to use. I trimmed the plate down to be just large enough to mount the RAM mount.

Can you get at the backside of that steel gusset at all? I'm not 100% familiar with the slider configuration there... If you can, then drill two holes in the gusset and bolt that RAM base down solid. If you can't get a bolt back there, then maybe you can slide two nuts in and bolt it from the front. You'll have a much more solid connection if you do.

Can you get at the backside of that steel gusset at all? I'm not 100% familiar with the slider configuration there... If you can, then drill two holes in the gusset and bolt that RAM base down solid. If you can't get a bolt back there, then maybe you can slide two nuts in and bolt it from the front. You'll have a much more solid connection if you do.
Rob, that would be the ideal way to do it during the build. However, the other side of that gusset is the exterior fiberglass framing the windshield. It is all so pretty out there and I do not want to destroy that pretty fiberglass and paint.

It is going to be a pain to do, but I think I can remove the two bolts at the bottom of that gusset in the picture and fabricate a mount that will secure the RAM mount. Did I say it was going to be a pain! :rolleyes: Oh well, I was needing some little project to do.

An L-shaped bracket held on with the two bolts will be much steadier if you can arrange for it to hook on over the top of the gusset.

It is going to be a pain to do, but I think I can remove the two bolts at the bottom of that gusset in the picture and fabricate a mount that will secure the RAM mount. Did I say it was going to be a pain! :rolleyes: Oh well, I was needing some little project to do.

Don't remove the bolts, just slot the base holes of the new part.

Don't remove the bolts, just slot the base holes of the new part.
This is a good plan. It will not prevent me from having to get back underneath that lip and loosen the nuts for the bolts but at least it will not require more than just loosening them enough to slide a slotted bracket underneath the bolt head.

Everyone has given great ideas on this. I don't know exactly how it is going to work but once I can accomplish my task I will post a picture of the results.

RAM Motorcycle Mount?

Steve

Was just checking out RAM mounts. Saw these ones and thought I'd bring it to your attention.
Not sure if there is enough room or they are appropriate for your intended use but might be easily adapted with a bush and large washer to fit under one of those side deck bolts.

RAM-B-272U (9mm hole)

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogRes...d/082065077045066045050055050085/Default.aspx

RAM-B-272.jpg
RAM-B-2722.jpg

RAM-B-252U (11mm hole)

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogRes...d/082065077045066045050053050085/Default.aspx

RAM-B-252.jpg

Steve

Here's a photo of a wrench I made to get on the nuts under the roll bar. It made installing the nuts and tightening the bolts oh-so-much easier, in my case. Might not be worth it for you this time, but if you are handy with a welder it may be possible to fab the wrench in less time (not to mention expenditure of choice language) than it would be with other means. The socket is just a cut-down 7/16" x 1/4" drive 12 pointer; the rod is a scrap I cut from something I had in my garage.

850912067_LEfs2-XL.jpg

Here's a photo of a wrench I made to get on the nuts under the roll bar. It made installing the nuts and tightening the bolts oh-so-much easier, in my case. Might not be worth it for you this time, but if you are handy with a welder it may be possible to fab the wrench in less time (not to mention expenditure of choice language) than it would be with other means. The socket is just a cut-down 7/16" x 1/4" drive 12 pointer; the rod is a scrap I cut from something I had in my garage.

850912067_LEfs2-XL.jpg
Oh man Lars! I need one of those desperately. I was out working on this last night and found out there is no way I can get a wrench on the nut underneath there. If I could get a tool like this on the nut the mount Steve shows would work fantastically.

Steve,

If it isn't too late you might consider Click Bond fasteners. They have several products that might work. I used them for headset hangers in my 7.

Back