What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tru-Trak Gemini at OSH

jeffmoreau

Well Known Member
Has anyone visited Tru-Trak at OSH?

Just wondering about any updates on the new Gemini gear.

All comments and photos welcome.

Yes, I'm back home now but I stopped by their booth while at OSH. If I recall correctly, they are releasing the Gemini mini-EFIS (no AP) first and they plan to start taking orders in September with deliveries shortly after. That's about the only firm dates I got. I'm sure Lucas will chime in here later.

What Jamie said! The only thing I can add from my conversation with Lucas is that they are having trouble getting a display board - apparently "some large fruit company" (to quote Forrest Gump) bought all of them that were available, leaving Tru Trak on a waiting list.

Paul

I spoke to them on Monday and was told they would ship the basic unit (ADI only) in April. The PFD versions to come later. At least that's what I recall. Hopefully, delivery will be sooner.

I heard from a third party the same story about supply chain problems with screens due to high demand from the consumer goods market.

Chris

Last edited:
ADI II Replacement

The gemini will apparently have a model replacement for the ADI II ( 3 1/4 hole) that will use the same connectors and the same roll servo but a new pitch servo (mounts the same as the current one), will include vertical guidance and altitude seek and will have a number of additional functions. I believe they expect to have some announcements later this year (Sept?) with products shipping early next year. Sounded like a good upgrade path for increased AP capability.

Gemini availability

This may be a case of hearing what I wanted to hear. On Tuesday I was told at the TruTrak booth that orders for the Gemini ADI and PDF would be taken 9/1/11. The ADI version would begin shipping and October 2011. The PDF version (w/ alt & A/S) would start shipping in November 2011.
They promised to post on their website AND on VansAirForce.net.

This may be a case of hearing what I wanted to hear. On Tuesday I was told at the TruTrak booth that orders for the Gemini ADI and PDF would be taken 9/1/11. The ADI version would begin shipping and October 2011. The PDF version (w/ alt & A/S) would start shipping in November 2011.

That was exactly the conversation dates that I had with Andrew at TT.

ADI October

We ran into Stien and his crew at Friar Tucks on Saturday night. When I asked him when I could get a Gemini he said he could not tell me but there was someone there that could and he pointed out Andrew (TT Pres) and Lucas. After a few friendly jabs about the delievery date being pushed out (Lucas hid his face) Andrew came around the booth and sat with us for 15 min. He gave us the entire low down, they plan to take orders for the ADI September 1 with delivery in October. The PFD will come out a couple months later. I tried to get on the early list with no luck.

A little Tru Trak commentary. Andrew was Jim Yonkens first employee who is now his partner and is soaking up all the wisdom Jim has. I belive Jim has found a great person to insure the future of a great little company.

A little Tru Trak commentary. Andrew was Jim Yonkens first employee who is now his partner and is soaking up all the wisdom Jim has. I belive Jim has found a great person to insure the future of a great little company.

Agreed 100% on Andew - I have been VERY impressed withe the man, and he comes to fly-ins in his airplane!

Paul

Maybe I missed it in the discussion, but any news on whether/when there will be a GPSS capable ADI II replacement? I'm looking for autopilot controlled turn anticipation, arc flying, procedure turns, holding and of course---approaches.

Lee...

I asked the same question. There is no date set yet but for the AP version they said it will be at, or sometime after, sun n fun next year. I also seemed to get the impression it would be near the price the AP's are now. But maybe I am hearing what I want also. :)

Gemini

Has anyone visited Tru-Trak at OSH? Just wondering about any updates on the new Gemini gear. All comments and photos welcome.

Here's the photos I took.

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

Last edited:
Does the screen look washed out like that in real life or is that the flash from the camera?

All the comments about ""A Fruit" company bought all the screens delaying the release" has me concerned that these things are powered by the same screen that is in the Iphone and if so, I doubt they will have very good bright Sunlight performance.

Somewhere Lucas mentioned that they have a transflective screen. The Iphone is about worthless in the Sun so I sure hope it is not the same screen.....

How did it look to the real eyes?

Here is a pic Doug took:

IMG_0283.JPG

Last edited:
Does the screen look washed out like that in real life or is that the flash from the camera?

All the comments about ""A Fruit" company bought all the screens delaying the release" has me concerned that these things are powered by the same screen that is in the Iphone and if so, I doubt they will have very good bright Sunlight performance.

Somewhere Lucas mentioned that they have a transflective screen. The Iphone is about worthless in the Sun so I sure hope it is not the same screen.....

How did it look to the real eyes?

They looked great inside at the booth! I think there was some kind of light behind me when taking these photos (it may have been my flash but I don't believe so) so they do look a little washed. I do worry a little about direct sunlight exposure though.

That's what stinks about this avocation. I am thoroughly happy with my ADI Pilot II. It has worked flawlessly from day one, and not being instrument rated, I have no real need to replace it with anything fancier.

However ...

There's just something wrong about having obsolete equipment in my panel! By next spring, I may just have to pull my perfectly good AP and sell it to someone else on the cheap, just so I can buy a new Gemini unit.

Then, of course, I'll have to take a good, hard look at my obsolete Dynon EFIS and EMS. Stein is gonna LOVE me when I tell him that it's time to replace my D-100 with a Skyview ... :eek:

Then I'll just have to get instrument rated just so I can fully utilize the capabilities of my panel.

By then they'll come out with an electric motor/battery package equivalent to an O-360 ...

When will it ever end?? :confused:

I thought it was a neat little device.

My only concern is that the usable screen within the round steam gauge hole is awfully small. I worry about its real-world usability.

From my perspective the only time I would need it is if something went seriously wrong with the primary EFIS and I was in IMC. If it was VMC I wouldn't care; I'd just poke my head up over the glareshield and look outside with my own two eyes.

But I worry about that tiny little screen actually being usable and useful when you need it most - in an IMC emergency.

I think it's neat, nicely packaged, and probably a great little EFIS in some cases. But in the use case I have for it, I don't think it's the right one for me.

Phil

Last edited:
From my perspective the only time I would need it is if something went seriously wrong with the primary EFIS and I was in IMC. If it was VMC I wouldn't care; I'd just poke my head up over the glareshield and look outside with my own two eyes.

But I worry about that tiny little screen actually being usable and useful when you need it most - in an IMC emergency.

Phil

That's one scenario, but here's another.....

What about a tie breaker if your two efis don't match? I suspect that this may be more likely than a total failure. For example, one ahars dies. How do you tell which one is correct?

When compared to a D6, which has about the same screen size, but has considerably more bulk behind the panel, it's not a bad solution. The Gemini is about 3/4" deep, wheras the D6 appears to be about 12". I don't know the weight differences, but the Gemini has to be the clear winner there too.

While I think either scenario discussed is a potential risk, I think the odds are so minimal, I don't have a problem with using a small screen as a back up. Most of us old farts have to have glasses available anyways, so it isn't a big deal (at least to me).

bob

Okay, so we're in IMC, our EFIS's don't match, and our glasses just fell off our face... Now what!!

Sorry I couldn't resist! :D

I just know I'd have a hard time with it. For me it wouldn't be too bad if the thing were directly in front of me, but we all know that backups end up tucked away in the least desirable spot anyway. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just that the good (and expensive) gear gets the best and most convenient spots on the panel every time.

If it were show-center I think I'd be okay with it. But my G3X is already there. That's really my only beef though. I think it's a great tool; but I'd like to fly one under the hood in the usual back-up efis locations to see if it's really doable before I committed down that path only to find it's hard to lean over and twist your neck while trying to keep the stick under control. IFR flight that we practice for involves having instruments sitting in front of you, keeping your head still and straight. It would take some effort to transition from a regular panel scan to the backup EFIS and stabilize the airplane.

I know I'm kinda out there with this scenario - it's just my opinion while I play Walter Mitty for a bit.

Phil

Okay, so we're in IMC, our EFIS's don't match, and our glasses just fell off our face... Now what!!

Sorry I couldn't resist! :D

I just know I'd have a hard time with it. For me it wouldn't be too bad if the thing were directly in front of me, but we all know that backups end up tucked away in the least desirable spot anyway. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just that the good (and expensive) gear gets the best and most convenient spots on the panel every time.

I know I'm kinda out there with this scenario - it's just my opinion while I play Walter Mitty for a bit.

Phil

Granted it isn't optimum, but unless the panel is another 12" wider, most of us don't have room on the panel for a full size efis from another manufacturer. About all the spare room available is for a set of 3" instruments. Some install analog guages as backuip, which is just fine.

I know one RV-10 that put a D100 on the right side. The advantage is a bigger screen, but that would make your scan in IMC really awkward.

There is really no perfect solution. The anwser is personalized to which limitations and issues are you willing to live with for your mission

The Gemini might be the perfect unit for me to give me a backup in my panel. It might slide right into the current whole where my Turn and Bank resides. It could replace that and give me a attitude gyro backup. What would make it perfect is if it could also display a HSI. I would normally keep in the HSI mode unless I needed the backup attitude. Is a standalone HSI a option on the unit?

George

I'm trying to figure out how I missed this whole thread. :eek:

I'll try to answer all the questions in one shot here.

Orders for the ADI/PFD versions will open 9/1/11. Delivery of the ADI to start in October (not necessarily 10/1). Delivery of the PFD to start in November.

There will be an AP version of the Gemini that has GPSS and GPSV, that's the 880. Both AP Geminis will have altitude select, only the 880 will have GPSS capability.

It won't be an exact drop in replacement for the ADI Pilot as the panel cutout will be slightly different due to some components behind the bezel. The knobs will be in the same location, but the third mounting screw hole will not. Wiring will be as close as we can get it and I suspect it'll be a direct swap there.

About the supply problems, it wasn't actually DISPLAYS that we couldn't get, it was the display CONTROLLERS. We're not using the same display as that "other" company, but it is the same display controller that is in the iDevices. It IS a transflective display so direct sunlight is absolutely no problem at all.

A stand alone HSI is not planned at this time.

If I missed any questions, please let me know. Thanks!

About the supply problems, it wasn't actually DISPLAYS that we couldn't get, it was the display CONTROLLERS. We're not using the same display as that "other" company, but it is the same display controller that is in the iDevices. It IS a transflective display so direct sunlight is absolutely no problem at all.

This is good to know! Glad it is not an IPhone screen!

Stand alone HSI was a bad term on might part. What I should have said is a HSI option like the Dynon D10 that could be selected. Is that a menu option?

Thanks!
George

Stand alone HSI was a bad term on might part. What I should have said is a HSI option like the Dynon D10 that could be selected. Is that a menu option?

Thanks!
George

There will not be an option to switch to a full screen HSI, at least not at this time.

"There will not be an option to switch to a full screen HSI, at least not at this time. "
I'd like an option to switch to a full screen HSI. It's one of the D10's strengths.
John

I agree, It might be a bit old school but the one thing I miss is having a HSI to look at for a variety of reasons. If I can combine a HSI with a attitude gyro then I would have everything I want in my panel.
Any other options out there other then the Dynon? I have a D10A as my main flight instrument source and not sure I have the depth to fit another where this will be mounted.

George

Back