What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thread Sealant or not on Oil Temp Probe?

tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
THis is the 5/8 - 18 thread probe. It has the copper crush washer. I've snugged it down as tight as I dare, and I still seem to be getting a little leakage from under the probe.

It is "standard" (not pipe) threads, so I do not think one should technically be installing thread sealant on it. That said...I still seem to have a problem with a very small leak.

What have others done? If you used sealant, what type?

Thanks,
Scott

Crush Washer Only

I installed the crush washer only and have experienced no leaks.
Make certain that you have the proper size crush washer and that you have torqued it to the correct spec.

Scott,

Also, make sure the probe is not bottoming out before compressing the crush washer. Not likely, but possible. Try a new crush washer, shouldn't need any sealant.

Make sure the housing doesn't have a small crack where the probe screws in. Have seen many cracked over the years.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

I have seen where the crush washer was installed backwards (opening facing aft). Should be facing toward the housing.

Back