What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Post Christmas trip to KJYO

I'll be flying my -6 from KGPM (Dallas area) to Leesburg KJYO on Dec. 27'th or 28'th (at least that's the plan) for about a weeks stay.

Not having flown from/in a cold environment for many years, I think I better get some advice from those that do (I noticed that the forcast is for 9" of snow in the next couple of days!).

If any members are based at KJYO, when/what do you do for pre-heat? I called the FBO there, and was told that pre-heat was $35, one night in a hanger (heated?) was $75. Don't know if I will need any of this, but it's a concern.

Curiously enough, I learned to fly and was based in MD, NJ, and then VA (actually KJYO) from the late 60's to early 70's, and I never heard of pre-heat then. And if there wasn't visible snow on the wings, off we went. My how times have changed.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Well I would consider staying home

I used to fly from southern California (Orange County) to St. Louis (Spirit) for Christmas and I did just as you described - if the wings etc. were clear of snow and ice and I could get it started I would be good to go. I did use a hangar once or twice. I never used preheat. I would never takeoff into weather that could cause trouble, for example low ceilings an temperatures. It always seemed to me that winter flying was fine as long as the weather was fine (meaning clear skies mostly). Weather is everything of course and windows of opportunity can be slammed shut but with careful evaluation of forecasts and observed trends I always made it with no trouble. Today I probably wouldn't even try.

Bob Axsom

I'm rethinking my destination - maybe Manassas (HEF) would be a better place to park for a week? Any preference from the local members?

Thanks.

Back