What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

W414-A-L material ?

flyenforfun

Well Known Member
I'm replacing the W414-A-L and the W413-B-L Aileron hinge bracket on my 10-year-old RV8 kit 5 years flying plane. I ordered new brackets from vans but the holes don't lineup on the one bracket w414-A-L. I called Van's and they have no other alternate part number listed so the tech rep at vans told me that I could use a double or on the rib and make new holes or if I had access to a machine shop I could fabricate one. I got off the phone and I realize that I didn't ask him what type of material it is so I was wondering does anyone out there know what material that hinge bracket is made from?

That's the same part number as the RV-6 part.

The -6 plans call out 2024-T3 material 0.125 inches thick.

It would take a fairly skilled machinist to duplicate it - there is a pocket milled in it to hold the spherical bearing. The pocket must be slightly undersized, by about 0.0005" compared to the outside diameter of the bearing.

So, you either need someone that is very good with a boring bar, or you buy a special piloted counterbore tool made that size, or a CNC mill with lots of fine steps to make the pocket.

I think you will be better off just drilling new holes in the bracket to match the rib holes, or put a doubler plate on the rib to match the new holes in the new bracket.

Why are you replacing them?

Anyone know what the 'C' version is, e.g. W-414C-L? Any chance it's an undrilled bracket? I thought Vans offered undrilled brackets at one time.

Anyone know what the 'C' version is, e.g. W-414C-L? Any chance it's an undrilled bracket? I thought Vans offered undrilled brackets at one time.

Not sure about that... IIRC my early c. 1990 RV-6 wings came with those two parts already riveted together with the bearing installed. This was well before any pre-punched kits.

I may have a spare one in the hangar, but I'm not sure if it's L or R. I'll check in the morning.

It would take a fairly skilled machinist to duplicate it - there is a pocket milled in it to hold the spherical bearing. The pocket must be slightly undersized, by about 0.0005" compared to the outside diameter of the bearing.

I believe that is the later design.

The original parts (same part number :) ) had a different bearing that was pushed into a 7/16 inch hole and staked in place. No machined pockets were milled.

The bearing specified was an Aurora COM-3-5

Not sure about that... IIRC my early c. 1990 RV-6 wings came with those two parts already riveted together with the bearing installed. This was well before any pre-punched kits.

I may have a spare one in the hangar, but I'm not sure if it's L or R. I'll check in the morning.

Just checked, sorry the undrilled one I have is an inner bracket and it is for the Right side.

Back