What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HELP wingfaring rubber

skidookid

:confused:trying to glue wing faring rubbers to farings but cannot find glue to stick to rubber. Is they a cleaner or primer to use on rubber or special glue? HELP

Have you never heard of "Yellow Death"? 3M Super-weatherstrip adhesive.
Only problem ever heard of is how to get it "NOT" to stick to something.

With primer ant the right glue it will work!

Hello

Use LOCTITE SF 770 Primer Adhesion Promoter and LOCTITE 406 Instant Adhesive.

Those together are used for glueing very difficult to glue materials.

Loctite has a small "kit" with a Cat no. 19328, if you can locate this ... not cheap, but works good.

Have made two planes with this. Put the rubber onto the wingroot fairing, put some tooth-pick material on the inside, so that the outside of the rubber is laying flat on the wingroot fairing, then apply dropwise glue from the inside, do not forget to apply primer to the cleaned rubber before.

I have done this with the fairing on a table. Let dry over night is best.

You can also do it only in the last 10-15cm at the end of the fairing, where it is prone to come loose.

Good luck!

Dominik

Exactly!

Before I had my airplane painted I never had trouble with the rubber strip. However after it was painted, the slick surface allowed the rubber to slide off.

I tried "Yellow Death" but all I did was manage to get the two sides of the channel stuck together!:mad: I tried a couple of different things but what ended up working is heavy duty/industrial double sided tape. I have both: a heavy duty one (it's black) from Home Depot and an industrial one from McMaster Carr or MSC Industrial Supply. I stuck it on the underside of the metal strip and then stuck the rubber strip to it. Hasn't moved since. Be sure to clean the metal real well or remove any wax if it's painted. Good luck!

Good 'ole gorilla snot. Sold in black too.

If your seals are a silicone material, the best adhesive is Gee Bee adhesive from ACS, p/n 05-00996, a bit expensive at $49.95

Mitch Garner

EPDM is the material

The wingroot seal is EPDM (someone mentioned it in this forum), that is the reason it is not so easy to glue.

EPDM exhibits satisfactory compatibility with fireproof hydraulic fluids, ketones, hot and cold water, and alkalis and exhibits unsatisfactory compatibility with most oils, gasoline, kerosene, aromatic and aliphatic hydrocarbons, halogenated solvents, and concentrated acids.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPDM_rubber

Use the Loctite Primer and Glue and it works.

This works great. Available at the auto parts store. Larry
160rhap.jpg
[/IMG]

Back