What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The best dog for an RV pilot ?

tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
I am thinking about getting a dog. I have read a lot of posts here mentioning dogs and even seen pics posted of dogs helping with the build and flying with their owners.

I am considering a golden doodle, most likely a mini because the standard would be a bit large. I want a dog of medium or smaller size so that he will easily fit in the RV and can come along sailing with me and easily move around the boat without getting in the way.

So, what dog do you think would be best for an RV pilot?

Helper

My helper is a golden retriever. Probably a little too big for what you are looking for. He does come flying with me. Very calm and doesn't move around much. Haven't got him in a rv yet but I am planning on it. Good helper in the shop too.:)

bird

Golden

I have had a malamute and a yellow lab mix, both were good dogs. I have a golden now and he is a great dog. He is the easiest so far and is only six months old. Smarter and easier to train than the lab and more submissive and less independent than the Malamute. More affectionate than both. My dad has a labradoodle. He is HUGE! Smart and well behaved. My retriever is easy to take flying. He is still young enough I still crate him if I'm alone in the plane.....just in case on final or right after takeoff he freaks out.

Best dog

Ballpark frank, on a Kaiser roll. Brown mustard, sauerkraut. Doesn't require feeding, doesn't poop in the cockpit.

Guard Dog

Need a dog to protect your RV against an attack by grasshoppers while you are doing an oil change. she is a rescue dog. [she guards against rabbits good too]
img_0965.jpg

Last edited:
rescue dog

A rescued dog.

Steve,

If the right dog for me was available as a rescue, I would prefer to go that route.

In fact I looked at a rescue standard golden doodle yestarday. He was way too big. I asked the Florida doodle rescue lady how often they had mini doodles come to the rescue organization. She said that in 10 years she has never seen one.

Last edited:
Sheltie rescue

A quality sheltie will weigh around 25lbs,(half the size of a collie) will be loyal, and loving to you, and your family, and can save you the cost of an autopilot, as he will be smart enough to learn to fly your plane.

Ok, your sheltie might have a problem with the flying, but will amaze you with his intelligence! Our latest sheltie came home in DR's RV-6 when the Doll was down for the new instrument panel. They like boats too!

wi4nxv.jpg

19nrc9.jpg

33uzby9.jpg

Last edited:
We chose a dog specifically for our airplane

We decided on a King Charles Cavalier Spaniel. He lays between us in the RV-9A and just goes to sleep. Wakes up on downwind and sits up to judge the landing. (He usually give us a 10 no matter how the landing goes.)

He is a great dog and I would highly recommend the breed.

PUG

In my opinion, a pug or two is all that you will ever need. Will be your friend and like everyone that they meet. Great lap dog - won't bother with rabbits or grasshoppers - too busy watching (helping) you and sleeping. Always happy. Won't go and fetch the ducks! Not inclined to bite anyone - did I mention, loves people. :cool:

I have a white German Shepherd. He is too large to fly with me but we do plenty together anyway.

size to fly

I have a white German Shepherd. He is too large to fly with me but we do plenty together anyway.

Ron,

That is a good data point and raises a specific question. How large a dog can comfortably fly in an RV?

I was initially considering a mini goldendoodle but after talking more with a breeder, I am considering a small standard size dog because of the disposition. I expect such a dog to weight about 45 lbs.

So, is a 45 lb dog too large to fly well in an RV?

In my opinion, a pug or two is all that you will ever need - won't bother with rabbits or grasshoppers - Won't go and fetch the ducks

You've definitely never seen my pug! She chases rabbits, teases toads, posse fetch, water retrieve, and can get into all sorts of trouble. Then again, she will watch me work in the shop all day and supervise me mowing the runway.

But seriously, the only problem I'm having with flying with my pug is she overheats very quickly. I won't take her flying unless it is cool out. I also worry about the noise inside an RV (I measure 96-100 dB).

Oh, did I forget to mention snow ? ...

DSCF1885web2_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
DOG

My dog needs less tongue weight for my RV-10!!!

I put cotton in my dog's ears. Mutt muffs kept falling off.
My RV-10 decibels measured 78 while my motorhome measured 92??
The motorhome is a 1965 ford truck cab with an El Rancho Rey camper attached.

2vshn4o.jpg

30bedld.jpg

1zeiiba.jpg

Some of those aren't dogs, they are fashion accessories!

Our 55 pound English Bull Dog Torque really enjoys flying with us but he is really too big to get in and out of the plane.

Pups and Props

First, let me state I am a huge dog lover...nothing I would not do for my Cairn Terrier..and this may be a little off topic..but a reminder that dogs and airplanes are not always a great mix...no matter how careful we are, they can get loose and bolt around or into the business end of your (or another) airplane...I had to shut my RV down yesterday because the local airport dog (who I love) was running free and got too close to my prop for comfort.

The noise can spook even the most well behaved pooch..they are unpredictable. Furthermore, a pilot or passenger (or a kid) may get distracted chasing after a loose pet..and get into the prop themselves..yes, it is unlikely, but it is amazing how quickly tragic things can happen.

Please don't misunderstand...I'm not advocating a dog ban......just please be very very careful with your pet and prepare for the unexpected...Thanks to all!!

First off...No matter what breed of canine co-pilot you choose, PLEASE attempt to go through a rescue group before going to a breeder!!

I saw a post from one terrier advocate, and I would like to express my vote for West Highland White Terrier!
P1010861.jpg

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/markmel04/P1010861.jpg

This is our first Westie, Sam. He has been on several x-country flying expeditions, and does pretty well. We do slip him a little "doggie downer" before the really long trips, but he is none the worse for wear upon arrival.

rescue v breeder

First off...No matter what breed of canine co-pilot you choose, PLEASE attempt to go through a rescue group before going to a breeder!!

Mark,

I would not get a dog from a breeder if there is a rescue dog available that is what I am looking for. In fact I am holding off on buying from a breeder to see if I can find an appropriate rescue dog.

One issue that narrows my choice of dog is that I have a close friend with a serious allergy issue. I want my house to be a place where she can spend time in comfort. She can be around poodles and poodle mix dogs. I prefer the laid back nature of a golden retriever. That is why I am looking at golden doodles. The dog should however be small enough to get in my airplane or be on my sailboat without being in the way.....that narrows even the golden doodle breed down.

Although it is unlikely that I can find such a dog in a shelter or rescue organization, I have put off buying a puppy from a breeder until I can be sure that no suitable dog is available for rescue. The Florida golden doodle rescue folks are looking for one for me. I have searched the doodle rescue organization websites across the US and Canada. My RV is not ready yet, but perhaps the pilots and paws guys can help if I locate a suitable rescue dog.

If I can't find a dog that would meet my needs I will remain dogless. I like the dogs that other posters have shown here. I would love to go to the pound and get a Rupert....he is cool. But that would not work for my needs.

Last edited:
Good on you for putting a rescue dog in first position. I hope you find a great one, purebred or one of "many flavors", that will not cause any allergy issues.
Please post up a photo when and if it all comes together.
I may be very biased towards my Westies, but that Rupert is quite the handsome boy!!

Top 10 Best Characteristics for a Doggie Co-Pilot

The Top 10 Characteristics for a Doggie Co-Pilot are:

10) Lightweight!
9) Doesn't shed.
8) Doesn't get motion-sick.
7) Doesn't bark (while wearing a mic'd headset).
6) Long-duration potty trained.
5) Calls out traffic factors.
4) Can sniff out emergency landing sites and point.
3) Pumps av-gas and does pre-flights.
2) Can get ATIS, enter flight plans and call out checklists.
1) Has opposable thumbs and is light on the stick! :D

The Top 10 Characteristics for a Doggie Co-Pilot are:

10) Lightweight!
9) Doesn't shed.
8) Doesn't get motion-sick.
7) Doesn't bark (while wearing a mic'd headset).
6) Long-duration potty trained.
5) Calls out traffic factors.
4) Can sniff out emergency landing sites and point.
3) Pumps av-gas and does pre-flights.
2) Can get ATIS, enter flight plans and call out checklists.
1) Has opposable thumbs and is light on the stick! :D

2zhoc5i.jpg
[/IMG]

The breeder says this guy can do all that and file flight plans for you.

Pilots N Paws

...but perhaps the pilots and paws guys can help if I locate a suitable rescue dog...

Tony,
Even if right now you don't plan to become a Pilots N Paws pilot, you could register as a volunteer pilot and receive email when dogs are needing transport. My thinking is you MIGHT find a dog that way. Just a suggestion. And of course, you could be a volunteer to fly a few dogs too. RV's make great animal rescue transports.

Our current dog was found in our neighborhood and a neighbor indicated to my wife that he would find the owner. A few weeks later, she received a call from the animal shelter. The neighbor had taken the dog to the animal shelter and it was within a week of being put to sleep. We rescued him; that was four years ago, so he's about five years old now. He loves to fly; he has Mutt-Muffs and he really does well, even on cross-countries. I thought he was a mixed terrier, but a pilot friend tells me he is a Smooth Fox Terrier. Whether he's full-blooded or not, I don't know. He weighs about 23 pounds, and I named him Wilson.

69gynm.jpg

We had another dog that is now deceased. He was a Rat Terrier that had a lot of good qualities, but riding in a car was not one of them. I wouldn't even think of putting him in an airplane. So maybe you should evaluate any candidate pups as to how well they travel in a car before adopting them. Might be a good screen.

Good luck!

Last edited:
A rescued dog.

A German shepherd rescued dog to be precise

We recently got a German shepherd and took him on his first trip. He did OK, a bit apprehensive but loved it when he arrived in Carmel and on the way back was much more relaxed. We look forward to more trips with him.

A German shepherd rescued dog to be precise

We recently got a German shepherd and took him on his first trip. He did OK, a bit apprehensive but loved it when he arrived in Carmel and on the way back was much more relaxed. We look forward to more trips with him.

Hi Mehrdad,

How big is the shepherd? I am wondering if a dog of 45 lbs would do well in the back of my 8A.

Tony

Last edited:
Ask yourself

Well Tony there are a couple of questions you have to ask yourself in choosing a dog. Much like finding out your flight mission before deciding on an EFIS.

1) Are you wanting a dog for the purpose of companionship only?

2) Are you single and wanting a dog as a companion and as aid to trolling for another type of companionship?

If the answer is 2, get a small dog. The ladies love them. They have a magnetic field unequaled to even a Harley or Corvette.

I had a Chihuahua. She was a taller body style and quiet, not a yappy type like many you see. They are the most loyal dogs and, like all dogs, if you raise them in a friendly environment they will love everyone. Chihuahua's fit anywhere, even in a large jacket pocket. Total girl magnets!!!!

Mine died a couple of years ago and I miss her. When I am no longer flying commercially, I'll get another one. Perfect companion and the ladies love them!!!

Big

German Shepard Dogs will typically run in the 70 to 90 pound range when full grown. Males tend to the upper end of the range and females the lower, but there exceptions. I had a female that peaked at almost 120 pounds. so even though the Shepard is my favorite breed, they are a bit large for an RV.

Airdale Terrier

Our Airdale, loves to fly and best of all does not shed. She weighs about 45#and fits nicely in the back seat or on top of the luggage in the luggage area. They love people and other dogs.

Hi Mehrdad,

How big is the shepherd? I am wondering if a dog of 45 lbs would do well in the back of my 8A.

Tony

Hi Tony,
Molly (our Germen Shepherd) is 52lb and I would say of a medium size dog. At first I was somewhat concern about getting in and out but that is almost no effort and there is plenty of room for her in the back but this is a 7A. The W&B is also of no issue as I started by bare minimum weight in the back and keep adding a bit of more on each flight/leg. Hardly notice it even with only 10G fuel left.

Hope this helps.

Careful with the rescue dog

I'm probably going to be crucified for this but I think it needs to be said. I would not consider a rescue dog. Many rescue dogs are rescue dogs because they have problems, or they have problems because they are rescue dogs. Either way it can be painful.

For 9 years we have had a lovely, beautiful, sweet, smart, lab-chow X that was a rescue dog. It has not been all roses. She has severe separation anxiety. We don't know if it's from being abandoned or if she was abandoned because of it. Whatever caused it she is a wreck.

If we are home with her, she is fine. She is fine in our vehicles. She can not be left alone at home ever. She has done 10s of thousands of dollars damage to our home. She has destroyed walls, doors, and windows to get outside if she is inside. She has done the same to get in if she is outside. We spent months crate training her, only to have her collapse a steel crate and break a tooth the first time we left the house when she was in the crate. All of this was while spending hundreds of dollars on pet counseling and medication for the dog. There were also vet bills associated with the damage she did to herself at the same time. We literally used to live in fear of what our dog had done. I would stand outside at the end of a workday just to work up the courage to see what the day's butcher bill was. My vet and pet behaviorist both say this is common in rescue dogs. Obviously, she is not having any more fun with this than we are--the poor thing is a wreck.

We have things under control now, but it rules our lives. I sold my motorcycle since I can't use it any more. (Can't leave home without the dog). I had not been without a motorcycle for the last 32 years. The dog gets two anxiety meds a day, plus a 45 minute walk in the mornings. If we are both working that day, one of us goes in late to drop the dog off at doggie-day-care for the day. The other one leaves early to pick the dog up before they close. This adds up to several hundred dollars / month and hours of extra commuting time every week.

Again, she is the best dog in the world when we are around, but no more rescue dogs for me. Sadly, she may have ruined dogs for me altogether.

Sorry for the sour post. Bringing any pet into your life is a crapshoot, but I believe the chances for a bad experience are much higher with a rescue dog. This, of course, is nothing but an opinion.

Guy

Guy,
Yep...Fair enough. Unfortunately, there are dogs, cats, people, etc. who just have issues. It is plainly obvious that you guys have tried all that you possibly can with your dog. The unfortunate side of it is that it can happen with any animal, but being a rescue does certainly increases the chances of one's new family member bringing serious baggage with them. Our rescue Westie has got her own issues for sure, but they are nothing compared to what you are dealing with.
Have you thought about emailing Caesar "The Dog Whisperer" on the Nat. Geo Channel? This sounds like a case right up his alley. Besides, he rides all kinds of crazy things with wheels, and would probably love to get a turn around the patch in your -8A!!
All the best,
Mark O

Dogs

Guy,
Yep...Fair enough. Unfortunately, there are dogs, cats, people, etc. who just have issues. It is plainly obvious that you guys have tried all that you possibly can with your dog. The unfortunate side of it is that it can happen with any animal, but being a rescue does certainly increases the chances of one's new family member bringing serious baggage with them. Our rescue Westie has got her own issues for sure, but they are nothing compared to what you are dealing with.
Have you thought about emailing Caesar "The Dog Whisperer" on the Nat. Geo Channel? This sounds like a case right up his alley. Besides, he rides all kinds of crazy things with wheels, and would probably love to get a turn around the patch in your -8A!!
All the best,
Mark O

Even if you can't get in touch with Caesar, at least get his book. There's a chapter on seperation anxiety, even for older "rescue" dogs.

Even if you can't get in touch with Caesar, at least get his book. There's a chapter on seperation anxiety, even for older "rescue" dogs.

I've read his book. It was very helpful. The walks and being dominant have helped a lot--both things Caesar teaches.

pound Dog

Go to the pound. If you see a dog that wants to please you, then you will know he is right for you. Rupert is a Heinz 59 and his ears fold up like princess Leah when in a wind and I have to pull them back down.....but he sits with dog biscuits on his nose until I tell him it's ok to move, therefore he does fine in the passenger seat or baggage compartment. He tends to smell after he's been outside for a few hours in the sun. My opinion is to go save a Pup cause I wouldn't trade him for the world, and he wouldn't trade me either. Somehow, they are eternally grateful when you choose them for 75 or more that don't have a chance. This is my experience. Good Luck!

Before you pick a dog based upon flying with him, will you be able to do anything with him when you get where you are going? If summer, heat is an issue.

I picked my boy based upon our life together other than flying.

Rescues

My wife and I looked a long time for a rescue dog to fit our lives. We finally went to a responsible breeder, if there is such a thing. I felt guilty not getting a rescue dog but on the other hand I kept thinking of my sister and her miserable history with them. I think it is great and I encourage to get rescue pets, however I will keep donating to the spaying and neutering programs that affect more than just one dog or cat. Hopefully that makes up for me getting one from a breeder. Here is a line out of PETA:
Spaying and neutering makes a big difference: Just one unaltered female dog and her offspring can produce 67,000 puppies in only six years. In seven years, one female cat and her offspring can produce an incredible 370,000 kittens!

Maybe a Saluki?

100_2012-1.jpg

In all seriousness though, I have a beagle and there is NO way I'd ever try to take her flying. A very lovable dog, but I couldn't imagine flying with her.

That said, we all know that Snoopy flew his Sopwith Camel hunting the Red Baron in WWI so I guess its a toss up for the beagle!

Last edited:
Here are Snoopy, Windy and our latest addition Floyd

Here is a photo of my English Greyhound, Snoopy. He loves coming down the pub with me.

snoop.jpg

Here is Windy. She is a rescued dog from Madrid and she can be a bit unpredictable but she is a real shmoozer.

IMG_0065.JPG

Here is Floyd. We have had him a couple of weeks and he is very lively. Windy seems to be acting as his surrogate Mum. As you can see Floyd is a bit naughty but I reckon he will be a Crazy Diamond.

Floyd_2.JPG

Floyd%2525201.JPG

Last edited:
Golden Doodle

Tony -

We have a miniature golden doodle, and she is absolutely the best dog I"ve ever seen. Very smart and easily trained. She weighs 21 lb. We got her from Denver, CO. She doesn't shed at all, and is great with kids. She's the perfect size to be an inside or outside dog.

mini

Tony -

We have a miniature golden doodle, and she is absolutely the best dog I"ve ever seen. Very smart and easily trained. She weighs 21 lb. We got her from Denver, CO. She doesn't shed at all, and is great with kids. She's the perfect size to be an inside or outside dog.

That is exactly the kind of dog that I have in mind. I have heard that the mini golden doodles are "less mellow" than the larger golden doodles. For that reason I was looking for a smaller standard size golden doodle, about 40-45 lbs.

Do you have any insight into that issue?

Back