What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ok, a dumb question..

Roy25101

I noticed on completed pictures of the spar of the vertical stabilizer that folks have the rivets going in different directions (shop head vs manufactured head). Am I missing something on the plans that specifies the intended direction of the rivets. I read a spec that stated shop heads should be towards the interior of the aircraft. Hmmmmmm...

Again, thanks again for the help.

Since the lower portion of the spar lays flat against the rear fuse bulkhead, it must use countersunk rivets in that area. Look ahead in the plans and it will make sense.

I thought I read somewhere that whenever possible the manufactured head should rest against the thinner of the two metals. I'm a newbie myself so I'm interested to hear what some of the more experienced guys have to say.

Dave

That is what I have been taught, as well.

It is not written in stone, though. Given the choice, I generally put the manufactured head on the side with the thinner metal...

I did it wrong and then.....

Per the plans, on one of the hinge brackets (I think it may have been the elevator hinge) the plans specifically say which way to install the manufactured head. Well, I did it backwards. I think I put the shop head against the steel bracket and the manufactured head on the aluminum part which was logical to me.

So I called Van's, and asked if I needed to drill those rivets out.

At first, the "expert" said hmmmm, don't remember that or why it says that but he would check into it for me.

Later he called back to say no one know why those instructions read that way and I can ignore it and leave the rivets in place.

Back