What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Should I take a mulligan on these rivets?

Learning curves. I recall the same problem with the same rivets (there is a post buried in the archives somewhere). They do seem to be a bit long. You need to be exactly square on the rivet in order to avoid tipping. I ordered a pneumatic squeezer after struggling to set these properly with a hand squeezer, and never regretted that decision.

Does the manufactured head look ok? If so, I would leave them as is and focus on improving future sets.

Last edited:
Often you will do more damage by drilling them out. I'd leave them, they look OK. Perhaps later in the build once you're happy with drilling out rivets etc may be then.

Rivets

Maybe just use a gun and a bucking bar and square up the shop heads a bit. It is easy for me to tip a rivet with a squeezer, but I rarely do it with a bar and a gun.

Do you have the minimum diameter and depth on the shop head? If so, then the slight angle is irrelevant.

As already posted, you can make matters worse with a badly judged drill out. Early in my build, by far my greatest issues were with drilling out rivets that probably didn't need it. In fact, part of my "pile of shame" includes a VS spar which I buckled by driving out a rivet with inadequate support on the surrounding area.

Do you have the minimum diameter and depth on the shop head? If so, then the slight angle is irrelevant

If you do not have it, download a copy of MIL-R-47196A(MI). A couple shots from the document:

4873f928d2255b179e78546980642c2e.jpg

506c2b6d3d0f60b4738d99ba5f9705ef.jpg

Nice job!

You may want to read the suggested document. I think you will find that, as previous posters have stated, sometimes it is better to leave a slightly mis driven rivet alone. The difference in strength is a very small percentage, and drilling it out may actually make it worse...

Just remember the other 20,000+ rivets that remain...:eek:

Back