What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oxygen Refill

brad walton

Well Known Member
In July, 2013 I bought an Aerox size D tank system to use in the RV8 when over 10,000 feet. I used it in July for a cross country trip and liked the flexibility to travel high, save fuel and arrive in good physical condition, not tired and no dull headache. So all was well until I tried getting a refill. I found one local airport that wants $75 to refill a 13 cubic foot bottle. Calls to dive shops, no go; welding supply, absolutely not; medical, not without a prescription. Is my only option to buy a cascade system and trans fill myself? Maybe $75 is not too far out of line? What are others doing? I am beginning to think getting a prescription for O2 from my Doctor might be a better and more economical way to go.

I seem to recall this being discussed before in these forums. Have you tried the "Search" function for this topic?

Answered my own question

I found Rite-Way Aviation at David Wayne Hooks (KDWH) will refill a D tank for $20. Now that is more like it. I am still curious what others are doing.

Just inserting your title "Oxygen Refill" in the "Search" window returned several threads, some of which answer your question, I think. :)

Texas seems a little different, my only option was to get a prescription (which my doc did for free) and then trot it down to the welding shop. Cost was about twice what it would have been if I could have called it a welding bottle.

O2 refill

Brad
One of the EAA Chapter 12 guys fill his big welding tank then fills his small plane tank from that.
Bill J
:cool:

I utilize a cascade system from 3 large welding tanks at my hangar in Montana, but have my JD(M-22) cylinders re-filled in SoCal at medical oxygen supplier for $12. If I had the same local med O2 service in MT that we do in SoCal I'd dump the cascade system in a heartbeat. I rarely fly at less than 12,000 and often at FL210/220 so I go through a lot of oxygen fills. The cascade system works... but it's some effort to use, refill, etc.
Both MT and CA require a doctor's Rx for medical O2

An error in the referenced article is the frequency of hydrostatic testing on aluminum cylinders - it's 5 years (not 3) unless the tank is stamped with a 5-pointed star equating to a 10 year cycle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I carry my bottle in to the FBO and typically pay $25. Last time was only $20.

Don't know how much it would be if they had to come out to the airplane.

Dave

Fire Departments

I've had really good luck with local fire departments. They will often have a cascade system and can fill a bottle for you. Bribe them with a ride:D

With a little work you can usually get this taken care of. I fly medical helicopters and we have lots of fire paramedics working for us as a second job. They will usually fill my D bottle for me.

It is ridiculous what is charged to fill these bottles paying retail. Big aversion to that!!!

I've mentioned in a previous thread on this topic that my medical supply company had me sign an affadavit indicating it was for aviation use. They keep it on file and allow refills whenever I need it. Cost is $12.

Although, I'm not sure if this is exclusive to Florida.
You might want to ask the supplier.

Last edited:
I just had a C size bottle filled at the local industrial gas supply house. I told her it was for aviation use. She said, "Frankly, I don't care what you do with it after you leave here".

She also quoted about $100 for a trans-fill line. The fittings were about $7 each, but the high pressure hose was the big cost. Gauge... maybe 20 bucks.

A full size bottle costs $85 to fill.

At $18 a pop, a dozen or so fills and you would break even (not counting the cost of the bottle rental or purchase). I have one available, so don't consider that a cost to me.

Several folks sharing one sounds like the way to go.

Maybe our hose vendors can make high pressure hoses ...

Get to know some one in a corporate aviation department. They are always filling aircraft bottles. Might just be the ticket to cheap O2

Dan - Tell me more

I've mentioned in a previous thread on this topic that my medical supply company had me sign an affadavit indicating it was for aviation use. They keep it on file and allow refills whenever I need it. Cost is about $15.

Although, I'm not sure if this is exclusive to Florida.
You might want to ask the supplier.

Never thought of that
I'm traveling on business right now but will call you later to see who you're using.

Oxygen answers!!!!

... We build and sell a trans-fill set-up for filling your aviation or medical tanks and stock the high quality oxymeters as well. If you guys would like more information on this just give me a call. Regards all, Allan...:D

What is required to fill a small Aerox bottle from a CGA540 transfill whip? It looks like Spruce might have an adapter, but has anyone rolled their own?

I recently bought the parts from Spruce to refill my own Aerox bottle.

Most Aerox bottles need to use the PB3 (Puritan-Bennet) adapter (the fitting on the bottle is about 3/8" diameter, looks kinda like a schrader valve fitting on an R-22 air conditioning system, just smaller diameter. The FAM-PB3 sold by Spruce is shown here CGA-540 on one end, PB3 on the other end.
13-04537.jpg

The adapter for the old style Scott fittings is about 9/16" in diameter, but I've not seen this used on any of the Aerox bottles.

I also bought the flex hose (Aerox single Bottle Filling Station) kit with the gauge attached. It has a sintered metal filter/restrictor in the gauge end... that hooks up to your supply tank. CGA-540 fittings at both ends
13-04535.jpg

Last edited:
Thx Neal

That is what I needed.....

I recently bought the parts from Spruce to refill my own Aerox bottle.

Most Aerox bottles need to use the PB3 (Puritan-Bennet) adapter (the fitting on the bottle is about 3/8" diameter, looks kinda like a schrader valve fitting on an R-22 air conditioning system, just smaller diameter. The FAM-PB3 sold by Spruce is shown here CGA-540 on one end, PB3 on the other end.
13-04537.jpg

The adapter for the old style Scott fittings is about 9/16" in diameter, but I've not seen this used on any of the Aerox bottles.

I also bought the flex hose (Aerox single Bottle Filling Station) kit with the gauge attached. It has a sintered metal filter/restrictor in the gauge end... that hooks up to your supply tank. CGA-540 fittings at both ends
13-04535.jpg

After a year of filling my bottle at a local fire protection company the happiness of cheap and fast O2 came to an end. A new tech butchered my aerox fitting and bent one of the valves. One port is still breathing but the system looks like !@#$ :eek:

You can't have it all; cheap, convenient and good for long. Time to ask Aerox how much is it to replace the valves.

Back