What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sharing a G3X system configuration??

jeffw@sc47

Well Known Member
I have a G3X suite installed in my completed RV-14A, currently awaiting the FAA registration certificate to get back to me and then get the airworthiness DAR inspection/sign-off.

A friend with a configured G3X system in his RV-14 wants to help me get started with my system configuration.

QUESTIONS >
1- Can he download his G3X configuration onto an SD card so that I can install his system onto my G3X system? Yes with caveats.

2- Do both systems need to be running the same system version software? G3X said NO.

3- Is there a specific process for the source download and the target upload? Yes G3X will send an email to describe.

4- The two Garmin suites do not have the same boxes and wiring, does that make the sharing impossible or just leaves things to work out? There will be things to work out.

A review with G3Xpert offered advice; the bottom line is that 'it's worth a try' but may be fraught with a number of fine issues, e.g. fuel config, ADHRS config, autopilot servo settings, etal. One place in the system that would be prone to lots of confusion is in the RS232 setup.

The whole experiment can be deleted from the system and return the beginning with a clean blank system.

GDU Configuration File

I have a G3X suite installed in my completed RV-14A, currently awaiting the FAA registration certificate to get back to me and then get the airworthiness DAR inspection/sign-off.

A friend with a configured G3X system in his RV-14 wants to help me get started with my system configuration.

QUESTIONS >
1- Can he download his G3X configuration onto an SD card so that I can install his system onto my G3X system? Yes with caveats.

2- Do both systems need to be running the same system version software? G3X said NO.

3- Is there a specific process for the source download and the target upload? Yes G3X will send an email to describe.

4- The two Garmin suites do not have the same boxes and wiring, does that make the sharing impossible or just leaves things to work out? There will be things to work out.

A review with G3Xpert offered advice; the bottom line is that 'it's worth a try' but may be fraught with a number of fine issues, e.g. fuel config, ADHRS config, autopilot servo settings, etal. One place in the system that would be prone to lots of confusion is in the RS232 setup.

The whole experiment can be deleted from the system and return the beginning with a clean blank system.

This may cause more trouble than it is worth. The configuration files are really useful for saving a backup of an already configured system, or for builders manufacturing several aircraft with the exact same wiring harnesses, but loading over the RS-232 and ARINC 429 interface settings for a system that is wired differently than your own would probably add unnecessary confusion to the process.

Chapter 35 of the G3X Touch installation manual provides a detailed outline for configuring the G3X Touch system. If you work through that section, and cross reference it with your wiring diagram, you should be up and running in no time. Of course, feel free to send us any questions you may run into during that process.

Thanks,

Justin

Back