What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rust-Oleum Cockpit Paint

rv12iS-builder

Well Known Member
Friend
For those of you who used Rust-Oleum for your cockpit: What did you use for primer? I see Rust-Oleum makes a gray/green self etching primer and something they call Professional Aluminum Primer.

Thanks!

For those of you who used Rust-Oleum for your cockpit: What did you use for primer? I see Rust-Oleum makes a gray/green self etching primer and something they call Professional Aluminum Primer.

Thanks!
DISCLAIMER: I'm still building.

I used the white "Aluminum Primer" with a topcoat of a different Rustoleum product. If I do good prep and allow it to dry properly it seems to work well. I found that baking the paint on (using an oven around 200-225°F) it seems to be pretty durable. This requires you to paint the parts before installation.

But, painting isn't my strong suit...

I tried several test areas with different primers and came to the conclusion that zinc chromate in a rattle can provide the toughest finish over the Rust-oleum primer or no primer. I put Tremclad Professional top coat over the zinc chromate.

Last edited:
Used rattle can NAPA 7220 where Vans did not wash prime the quick build. One covering coat of Rustolium. Looks great after 6 years of abuse. Roughed up a bit with red scotchbrite prior to priming, clean with Coleman fuel (cheap and works great), and shot primer.

T.S.
RV-7

Grey green primer

I thumbs up the Rust-Oleum self etching primer as well. Another question for the rattle can people...Did you use a clear coat? If so, what kind? I'm currently looking for the hardest/most durable kind I can find to protect the interior once its painted.

thanks,
Brandon

Back