What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot/Static system checks

RV8Squaz

Well Known Member
Hey guys,
Any one know how the pitot/static system checks are performed? What kind of provisions do I need to build into my pitot and static systems to facilitate making these checks. Do I need to put a "tee" so they can tap my system or do they put something over the static ports and pitot tube and take readings right off my altimeter and airspeeed inicators?

Thanks,
Jerry

Don't worry about the pitot/static stuff. As a previous poster mentioned, the test equipment should be adaptable to whatever pitot tube and static ports you have.

But the one thing to consider is putting your altitude encoder somewhere accessible, where it can either be adjusted (for the xpdr check) right there, or where it can be removed and has a bit of service loop (both static & electrical connections) so it can be removed from the mount and adjusted.

Like others have said, a good testing shop should be able to deal with whatever configuration you have. That said, the local fellow who did my cert had a devil of a time getting the pitot testing line to seal on my blade-type pitot tube.

If I wasn't so lazy, I'd consider going back in and adding a "T" to both the pitot and static lines for testing purposes, conveniently placed so as not to have to remove any interior or panel stuff. You could then just put a piece of tape over the static ports and pitot opening, and tie in the testing equipment to the "T"'s.

The disadvantage to this, in the strictest sense, is that once they have proven your system to be leak free, and remove the equipment, how can they be sure that the "T"-caps aren't leaking?....and if a tree falls in the forest, and no one is there to hear it.... :rolleyes:

Going to go sweep out my empty hangar....

Paul

You don't need to install any Tee's in the lines. They will plug one static port and put a rubber suction type seal around the other static port and run the alitmeter up to altitude, check for leaks, etc. Adding in fittings just help the chance in having leaks in the system. They want to test the static ports anyway, because that's where the system is obviously measuring from, not from a tee inside the airplane.

I just had this done 2 weeks ago with my Rocky Mountain uEncoder. They were surprised to see how accurate it really was.

PS test...How much

Hi guys,

I was just quoted $300 for an IFR PS cert......Is this a reasonable number or should I look around?

Thanks

Frank

IFR cert

My guy did my check for $275 for the pitot / static and the xponder.

Took him about an hour. He even found and corrected a couple small leaks in the static system.

He tested mine up to 16K.

bruce
N297NW

yakdriver said:
The radio shop here at TWF does it for $50.00. Don

There ya' go showing off again. :D I swear, if I didn't have this job I'd move closer to Twin Falls. I could move into the hanger next door or something. ;) How's the fuse coming?

VFR vs. IFR

yakdriver said:
The radio shop here at TWF does it for $50.00. Don

Are you confusing the VFR check that is just done on the transponder at one altitude, and the full IFR check that involves the static lines and transponders returns at higher (induced by suction) altitudes?

gil in Tucson ... VFR check at $75....

Type check for VFR

Hello - I have a VFR only RV-9A. I will be flying under/around a Class B. Do I need an IFR Pitot Static Check or just the VFR Check mentioned here?

Back