Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2010, 09:01 PM

Default Thoughts on Zip Ties in engine compartment

I've used them before and made a point to always replace them every year during the condition inspection.

What are your thoughts?

Sure makes it easy to keep those wiring bundles tight against the engine mount for easy routing. I never go forward of the engine mount however.

Thanks!

Ken
Old 01-03-2010, 09:17 PM

I have a lot of them FWF and have only had one fail (too close to cylinder head, got brittle and cracked). Would have no hesitation in using them again. Replacing them at regular intervals is a good idea. There have been some reports of chafing issues but if one is careful and/or uses some heatshrink on the tie, those issues can be minimized.

greg
Old 01-03-2010, 10:10 PM

It's okay as long as you use the black ones rated for high temp and UV rather than the white ones.
N781TD
RV-7
First Flight - April 12, 2015

Construction Log
Old 01-03-2010, 10:15 PM

Default Thomas and Betts

I was told by a mechanic who works on air tractors that these were very good because of their holding strength.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:04 PM

Default Thomas & Betts Ty Raps

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwarre View Post
I was told by a mechanic who works on air tractors that these were very good because of their holding strength.
Thanks so much for posting this, I didn't know they invented the cable tie!

I found a great catalog on their site.

It seems like the "normal" ties are rated to 185F, and the "heat stabilized" ones (which are white) are good to 221F. The black ones are UV and "heat stabilized" and are also good to 221F.

They also have some "Extra High Temperature" ones that are rated to 302F. They are light green!

I think when it comes time for FWF, I will invest is some of these high quality ties.
Dave Gribble VAF #232
Building RV-9A N149DG (slider, IO-320, IFR)
Restored and Flying Beech Super III N3698Q
Marion IA

Struggling with fiberglass

There is no sport equal to that which aviators enjoy while being carried through the air on great white wings." Wilbur Wright, 1905
Old 01-03-2010, 11:04 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

I have used them FWF for years - but I am always careful to make sure that they are not chafing the engine mount, and check them at every inspection. There are a lot of folks who say that they have no place in an engine compartment, and I certainly think that you can do better, but there are lots of certified airplanes that have them, so they are not against the rules. I don't use them for hose retention, or anything vitally important, but for wiring purposes, the high temp ones work just fine. I figure that if I have a fire forward of the firewall, wire retention is the least of my problems.

My opinions and experience only,

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 01-03-2010, 11:17 PM

FWIW, Lowes and other stores now have stainless zip ties available. Not nearly as cheap as nylon, but still pretty cheap. I suspect that these would have chafing issues and/or cut through wire insulation from vibration, so haven't tried them yet. Certainly they would be fireproof.

greg
Old 01-04-2010, 05:29 AM

Default Zip ties on the engine mount.

My RV-9A was inspected by a brand new DAR. Great guy. My plane was his check ride with the FAA, so two G men from maintenance and inspection were there to witness the whole deal. Man, did I get a lookover!!
Now some builders would cringe, but I was thrilled to get the Royal Treatment.
After the exhaustive ordeal, the G men praised my work, and the DAR issued my pink slip with not so much as a blink. Asking the "well...wadahyah think" question to the FAA guys got this response....."Great job Chris, one of the best homebuilts I have ever seen. You need to get those zip ties off of the engine mount".
All I can say is, they are still on there, and I check them at every opportunity.
They haven't sawed my engine mount in half yet!!

Regards,
Chris
Sold to nice folks in Texas and badly missed.
RV9 in progress
Old 01-04-2010, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy614 View Post
All I can say is, they are still on there, and I check them at every opportunity.
They haven't sawed my engine mount in half yet!!

Regards,
Chris

I put a wrap of electrical tape (also probably a no-no for FWF) on the engine mount and then the zip tie. Keeps it from chaffing the engine mount and sliding around on the engine mount.

I heard the judges at OSH confiring when looking my airplane over. They where commenting (in a whisper) about the zip ties FWF.
Paid dues yearly since 2007
Old 01-04-2010, 07:39 AM

Default They really help with maintenance

I have a mix of zip ties and adel clamps holding wiring harness & wiring FWF, and I am so glad that I did not use adel clamps everywhere, the zip ties are so much easier to remove and replace when you want to get into that wiring. I use automotive heater hose under the ties to protect the the motor mount. A little heavy, but I like it. On the wiring itself I mostly use a wrap of Scotch 2242 -rubber electrical tape. I always have something soft between the zip tie whatever it is holding FWF. On my upper spark plug wiring I have it ziptied to the FI lines, with a little piece of automotive vacuum line around the SS FI line and a little Scotch 2242 around the spark plug wire. Another little thing I learned from growing up on the ocean, I heat shrink the my spade connectors with double wall adhesive lined heatshrink. It keeps the salt air from making it's way into the connection and mechanically prevents the connectors from coming apart. Some would say overkill, but I have seen so much corrosion from salt air causing electrical problems I consider it mandatory.

Hans