VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.


Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-20-2020, 05:11 PM
greghughespdx's Avatar
greghughespdx greghughespdx is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Aurora, OR
Posts: 925
Default SB-00023 published: RV-12/12iS Engine Mount Standoff Inspection/Replacement

Van's has published Service Bulletin SB-00023, which guides affected RV-12/12iS aircraft owners (as listed in the doc) to inspect the engine mount standoff weldment on affected aircraft for cracks. Van's is aware of two RV-12/12iS aircraft on which these cracks have been observed. Inspection can be completed with the top cowl removed using a small inspection mirror.
  • If cracks are found, do not fly the aircraft. Replace the stand-off with the new version part.
  • If you do not find cracks, you may continue to fly and need to inspect periodically at least every 100 hours. Details are contained in the service bulletin document.
__________________
Greg Hughes - Van's Aircraft - Community, Media, Marketing
Van's web site | Instagram | Facebook
Opinions, information and comments are my own unless stated otherwise. They do not necessarily represent the direction/opinions of my employer.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-20-2020, 05:58 PM
Crafting N112DR's Avatar
Crafting N112DR Crafting N112DR is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Powell, OH
Posts: 286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghughespdx View Post
Van's has published Service Bulletin SB-00023, which guides affected RV-12/12iS aircraft owners (as listed in the doc) to inspect the engine mount standoff weldment on affected aircraft for cracks. Van's is aware of two RV-12/12iS aircraft on which these cracks have been observed. Inspection can be completed with the top cowl removed using a small inspection mirror.
  • If cracks are found, do not fly the aircraft. Replace the stand-off with the new version part.
  • If you do not find cracks, you may continue to fly and need to inspect periodically at least every 100 hours. Details are contained in the service bulletin document.
Wondering if you can share how many hours on the two aircraft. I just ordered the new standoff engine mount, did not do the inspection yet, but my annual is coming so I will just replace it whether the inspection is good or bad. The mount is $280.00 incase others want to know.
__________________
___________
David Rohrlick
PPSEL, A&P
N112DR (RV-12iS)
Airworthiness signed off by the FAA 1/23/2020
First Flight on 3/14/2020
Phase I Finished on 5/7/2020

Need:
Paint?
Serial#12-0864
https://youtube.com/c/CraftingN112DR
VAF donation made for 2021
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-20-2020, 06:03 PM
JFCRV12 JFCRV12 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Liberty Township OH
Posts: 149
Default

Ugh. Does it stop? gear leg, Nose Fork, Exhaust, Trim motor, prop balance, throttle springs, and now these mount standoffs.

Donít get me wrong, Iím very grateful that Vanís is proactive and Ďon ití. Just feel like there are so many SBís on an otherwise excellent airplane.
__________________
2020 Dues Paid!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-20-2020, 07:02 PM
greghughespdx's Avatar
greghughespdx greghughespdx is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Aurora, OR
Posts: 925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafting N112DR View Post
Wondering if you can share how many hours on the two aircraft. I just ordered the new standoff engine mount, did not do the inspection yet, but my annual is coming so I will just replace it whether the inspection is good or bad. The mount is $280.00 incase others want to know.
Around 900 hours on one of the aircraft. I will have to see whether or not I can find out how many hours on the other one.

Owner's choice on proactive replacement. It's an easy changeout. I would certainly inspect regularly of course, and I inspect under the cowl much more frequently than every 100 hours already in the normal course of maintenance. I mean, oil changes require removing the top cowl at least twice every 100 hours (more often for the one I deal with) and I tend to have the top cowl off even more frequently than that just to take a look and make sure everything's as it should be.
__________________
Greg Hughes - Van's Aircraft - Community, Media, Marketing
Van's web site | Instagram | Facebook
Opinions, information and comments are my own unless stated otherwise. They do not necessarily represent the direction/opinions of my employer.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-20-2020, 07:19 PM
Crafting N112DR's Avatar
Crafting N112DR Crafting N112DR is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Powell, OH
Posts: 286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghughespdx View Post
Around 900 hours on one of the aircraft. I will have to see whether or not I can find out how many hours on the other one.

Owner's choice on proactive replacement. It's an easy changeout. I would certainly inspect regularly of course, and I inspect under the cowl much more frequently than every 100 hours already in the normal course of maintenance. I mean, oil changes require removing the top cowl at least twice every 100 hours (more often for the one I deal with) and I tend to have the top cowl off even more frequently than that just to take a look and make sure everything's as it should be.
Ya going to bit the bullet on this one. A engine mount is nothing to mess around with. Can you tell us, is there a design change in the original WD-01221 ver the new WD-01221-1? If so what is the difference?
__________________
___________
David Rohrlick
PPSEL, A&P
N112DR (RV-12iS)
Airworthiness signed off by the FAA 1/23/2020
First Flight on 3/14/2020
Phase I Finished on 5/7/2020

Need:
Paint?
Serial#12-0864
https://youtube.com/c/CraftingN112DR
VAF donation made for 2021
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-20-2020, 07:28 PM
Sam Buchanan's Avatar
Sam Buchanan Sam Buchanan is offline
been here awhile
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 4,370
Default

For some reason a link to the service bulletin wasn't included in the original post. Here it is:

https://www.vansaircraft.com/service...ions/sb-00023/
__________________
Sam Buchanan
RV-6
Fokker D.VII replica
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-20-2020, 09:09 PM
RFSchaller RFSchaller is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,914
Default

I have had engine mount cracks in my Cherokee and one other home built. I would never trivialize this, but there are enough redundant load paths to protect you until inspection. Obviously if you find cracks you should ground the aircraft until you fix them.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-20-2020, 11:01 PM
PMLviator PMLviator is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Groveland CA
Posts: 49
Default top cowl only

Greg you must have long arms to change oil with just the top cowl off. Two wrenches under the tank to remove the plug, then catch the plug and hold a container for the oil, and thats not counting holding the bottle for the oil test sample. An "easy changeout", I believe it took me two hours just to install the two bolts through the firewall and that was with no engine and cables in the way.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-20-2020, 11:08 PM
rcarsey's Avatar
rcarsey rcarsey is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North Brunswick, NJ
Posts: 204
Default

I'm just about ready to have an AW certification.. so I'll probably inspect my 0-time engine mount and make the log entry. Replace it in a year.

I have to think that if it was 2 planes out of .. 1000?, this isn't something to worry too much about. I don't like the idea of going over an important structure with a magnifying glass every time the cowl is open (for peace of mind).. so I'll probably squirrel a little money away each month and just replace it.

I'm sure the prop balancing SB will help out on wear in this area.
__________________
Rob Carsey, North Brunswick NJ
RV-12iS (N713)
Completed 10/2020
Dues paid 2020
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-21-2020, 12:21 PM
AviatorMav AviatorMav is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Calera, Oklahoma
Posts: 21
Default

Performed the inspection last night. At just over 50 hours on the hobbs I wasn't expecting to find any issues. Will inspect again at next condition inspection and probably go ahead and replace. Aircraft will have a prop balance in the near future.
__________________
Michael Mitchell
RV12is Owner - N920EN - #121024
Durant, OK (EAA Chapter 323)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:32 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.