Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2020, 05:11 PM

Default SB-00023 published: RV-12/12iS Engine Mount Standoff Inspection/Replacement

Van's has published Service Bulletin SB-00023, which guides affected RV-12/12iS aircraft owners (as listed in the doc) to inspect the engine mount standoff weldment on affected aircraft for cracks. Van's is aware of two RV-12/12iS aircraft on which these cracks have been observed. Inspection can be completed with the top cowl removed using a small inspection mirror.
  • If cracks are found, do not fly the aircraft. Replace the stand-off with the new version part.
  • If you do not find cracks, you may continue to fly and need to inspect periodically at least every 100 hours. Details are contained in the service bulletin document.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Old 11-20-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghughespdx View Post
Van's has published Service Bulletin SB-00023, which guides affected RV-12/12iS aircraft owners (as listed in the doc) to inspect the engine mount standoff weldment on affected aircraft for cracks. Van's is aware of two RV-12/12iS aircraft on which these cracks have been observed. Inspection can be completed with the top cowl removed using a small inspection mirror.
  • If cracks are found, do not fly the aircraft. Replace the stand-off with the new version part.
  • If you do not find cracks, you may continue to fly and need to inspect periodically at least every 100 hours. Details are contained in the service bulletin document.
Wondering if you can share how many hours on the two aircraft. I just ordered the new standoff engine mount, did not do the inspection yet, but my annual is coming so I will just replace it whether the inspection is good or bad. The mount is $280.00 incase others want to know.
N112DR (RV-12iS)
Airworthiness signed off by the FAA 1/23/2020
First Flight on 3/14/2020
Phase I Finished on 5/7/2020

Need:
Paint?
Serial#12-0864
https://youtube.com/c/CraftingN112DR
VAF donation made for 2021
Old 11-20-2020, 06:03 PM

Ugh. Does it stop? gear leg, Nose Fork, Exhaust, Trim motor, prop balance, throttle springs, and now these mount standoffs.

Donít get me wrong, Iím very grateful that Vanís is proactive and Ďon ití. Just feel like there are so many SBís on an otherwise excellent airplane.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafting N112DR View Post
Wondering if you can share how many hours on the two aircraft. I just ordered the new standoff engine mount, did not do the inspection yet, but my annual is coming so I will just replace it whether the inspection is good or bad. The mount is $280.00 incase others want to know.
Around 900 hours on one of the aircraft. I will have to see whether or not I can find out how many hours on the other one.

Owner's choice on proactive replacement. It's an easy changeout. I would certainly inspect regularly of course, and I inspect under the cowl much more frequently than every 100 hours already in the normal course of maintenance. I mean, oil changes require removing the top cowl at least twice every 100 hours (more often for the one I deal with) and I tend to have the top cowl off even more frequently than that just to take a look and make sure everything's as it should be.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Old 11-20-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghughespdx View Post
Around 900 hours on one of the aircraft. I will have to see whether or not I can find out how many hours on the other one.

Owner's choice on proactive replacement. It's an easy changeout. I would certainly inspect regularly of course, and I inspect under the cowl much more frequently than every 100 hours already in the normal course of maintenance. I mean, oil changes require removing the top cowl at least twice every 100 hours (more often for the one I deal with) and I tend to have the top cowl off even more frequently than that just to take a look and make sure everything's as it should be.
Ya going to bit the bullet on this one. A engine mount is nothing to mess around with. Can you tell us, is there a design change in the original WD-01221 ver the new WD-01221-1? If so what is the difference?
N112DR (RV-12iS)
Airworthiness signed off by the FAA 1/23/2020
First Flight on 3/14/2020
Phase I Finished on 5/7/2020

Need:
Paint?
Serial#12-0864
https://youtube.com/c/CraftingN112DR
VAF donation made for 2021
Old 11-20-2020, 07:28 PM
been here awhile

For some reason a link to the service bulletin wasn't included in the original post. Here it is:

https://www.vansaircraft.com/service...ions/sb-00023/
Old 11-20-2020, 09:09 PM

I have had engine mount cracks in my Cherokee and one other home built. I would never trivialize this, but there are enough redundant load paths to protect you until inspection. Obviously if you find cracks you should ground the aircraft until you fix them.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:01 PM

Default top cowl only

Greg you must have long arms to change oil with just the top cowl off. Two wrenches under the tank to remove the plug, then catch the plug and hold a container for the oil, and thats not counting holding the bottle for the oil test sample. An "easy changeout", I believe it took me two hours just to install the two bolts through the firewall and that was with no engine and cables in the way.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:08 PM

I'm just about ready to have an AW certification.. so I'll probably inspect my 0-time engine mount and make the log entry. Replace it in a year.

I have to think that if it was 2 planes out of .. 1000?, this isn't something to worry too much about. I don't like the idea of going over an important structure with a magnifying glass every time the cowl is open (for peace of mind).. so I'll probably squirrel a little money away each month and just replace it.

I'm sure the prop balancing SB will help out on wear in this area.
Dues paid 2020
Old 11-21-2020, 12:21 PM

Performed the inspection last night. At just over 50 hours on the hobbs I wasn't expecting to find any issues. Will inspect again at next condition inspection and probably go ahead and replace. Aircraft will have a prop balance in the near future.
RV12is Owner - N920EN - #121024
Durant, OK (EAA Chapter 323)