- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-10-2020, 04:18 PM

Default EarthX Battery issue

After 14 months and 200 hours, I had two issues with the 690 battery. After running the master switch and PFD for 12 minutes on a fully charged battery, the next engine start resulted in the starter engaging for about one second, and then everything going blank. I charged the battery with the proper charger, and during flight the next day, the "Warning" light illuminated, and stayed on. EarthX said it was due to one of the parallel circuit monitors was dead, and the battery was running on only one of the monitoring circuits. I asked the tech what would happen if the second one had an issue? The anticipated answer was "the battery would go to zero output, no restoration possible". OK, as a DAR, I get around a lot and talk to owners. There are many out there that have had the same issue. Me? I just installed an Odyssey, yes, 8 pound weight gain, but piece of mind.
Fly Safe!

Gary
Old 10-10-2020, 05:22 PM

I like redundancy but it seems for this to create a safety issue both circuits in the battery and the alternator would need to fail on the same flight. Even if that happened a RV with modern avionics would have anywhere from 30 minutes to a hour to get on the ground if IFR.
Old 10-10-2020, 05:37 PM

Had the same thing occur last November. Went to start and prop moved for a second then everything blacked out. Red warning light activated on the battery. Ended up having to replace the battery. Went back to an Odyssey battery. Decided that the 20 lbs extra in my RV 10 was worth it. The circuit in their battery is just another thing that will leave you AOG.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvi767 View Post
I like redundancy but it seems for this to create a safety issue both circuits in the battery and the alternator would need to fail on the same flight. Even if that happened a RV with modern avionics would have anywhere from 30 minutes to a hour to get on the ground if IFR.
redundancy does not help you get started when the battery is tango uniform, you are flying IFR, or in a remote area.

Had similar experience in a 727 with low batteries, couldn't start the APU, so couldn't start the engines. If it ain't right, don't fly it!

Also, had a friend recently with an EarthX melt down under his seat in his Cub replica, still no known cause for it!

Fly Safe!
G.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:20 PM

Default Earth-x Battery

So, I just had a call from Cathy at Earth-x; she was quite helpful, and is sending me out a replacement battery. She also explained that one of the issues I had heard about with the Earth-x battery becoming hot and deforming was caused by a motorsport battery installed in an experimental Cub. The battery must be matched to the charging system, so please make sure that you understand the charging system of your aircraft and procure the appropriate battery. Earth-x claims that their units are highly reliable when installed properly. Another enlightenment from our conversation was the meaning of the warning LED illuminating and remaining on in a steady state, not flashing. I expect Earth-x may clarify that on future publications. It has always been my policy over the past 25,000 hours or more, that if there is a problem with an aircraft, and I can't determine promptly in a factual manner what is the cause or what to do about it, LAND THE AIRCRAFT AT NEAREST SUITABLE AIRPORT! Todays experimental aircraft are more electrically dependant than ever, and especially when flying IFR.

Fly Safe!

Gary
Old 10-12-2020, 06:03 PM

Default What the solid LED light means

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpilot View Post
So, I just had a call from Cathy at Earth-x; she was quite helpful, and is sending me out a replacement battery. She also explained that one of the issues I had heard about with the Earth-x battery becoming hot and deforming was caused by a motorsport battery installed in an experimental Cub. The battery must be matched to the charging system, so please make sure that you understand the charging system of your aircraft and procure the appropriate battery. Earth-x claims that their units are highly reliable when installed properly. Another enlightenment from our conversation was the meaning of the warning LED illuminating and remaining on in a steady state, not flashing. I expect Earth-x may clarify that on future publications. It has always been my policy over the past 25,000 hours or more, that if there is a problem with an aircraft, and I can't determine promptly in a factual manner what is the cause or what to do about it, LAND THE AIRCRAFT AT NEAREST SUITABLE AIRPORT! Todays experimental aircraft are more electrically dependant than ever, and especially when flying IFR.

Fly Safe!

Gary
Dear Gary,

It was a pleasure to talk with you today. Based on our call and your post, we would like to take this opportunity to clarify what a solid LED light means. This is located in the manual which can be found at: www.earthxbatteries.com.

All of the ETX-series batteries' critical electronic components are redundant to ensure that there is no single point of failure. As a DAR, I am sure you are familiar with the FAA regulations for a certified aircraft battery, and it is important to note that the ETX Hundred Series are designed and tested to the following safety regulations as outlined in:
• FAA RTCA DO-311a (excluding the Thermal Runaway Containment Test), RTCA DO-160, DO-254

You state you received a solid LED light warning from the battery while in flight and it stayed on. Per the manual if this happens:

Scenario 1: Solid Light-Any voltage-BMS electronic issue. Discontinue use. If in flight, this is not an immediate issue unless it is in conjunction with a charging system failure.

Scenario 2: Solid Light that turns off after 3 minutes-Any voltage-Short Circuit protection was activated. Nothing needs to be done.

The solid light that remains on means something on the BMS board is not working as designed. It does not mean it is “dead.” If the redundant critical components also had an issue, (we have no documented case of this) there would be no protection to the battery in the event of a charging system failure. The battery is still functional. You would be relying on your over voltage protection to save your electronics in your aircraft (including your battery). If this also failed, you would be relying on you as a pilot to manually turn your charging system off. The battery does not go to “zero output” in the event both redundant circuits fail, it is the same as using a lithium battery with no BMS. The LED alert is designed to “alert” you to a potential problem. Lead acid batteries can not do this. Having no alert of a potential problem does not mean one does not exist.

We hope this helps clarify.

Kathy
Old 10-12-2020, 06:21 PM

Might be useful to include in the manual that depending on the regime of flight (IFR, etc.) consideration should be made to exit IFR conditions and/or land at nearest suitable airport.

Regards,

Gary
Old 10-12-2020, 06:28 PM
Moderator, Asst. Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpilot View Post
Earth-x claims that their units are highly reliable when installed properly. Another enlightenment from our conversation was the meaning of the warning LED illuminating and remaining on in a steady state, not flashing. I expect Earth-x may clarify that on future publications. It has always been my policy over the past 25,000 hours or more, that if there is a problem with an aircraft, and I can't determine promptly in a factual manner what is the cause or what to do about it, LAND THE AIRCRAFT AT NEAREST SUITABLE AIRPORT!
You know, EarthX ETX batteries ARE indeed highly reliable when installed properly. And charged properly with proper chargers. And the proper battery mated to a compatible alternator. And managed periodically with the PROPER EarthX battery minder/charger. Problems crop up when folks don't read and heed the product manual...which is true for any battery. A motorsport LiFePO battery in a Super Cub is not a match made in heaven.

Regarding the meaning of the warning LED, I'm not sure exactly what EarthX needs to clarify. The meaning is printed right in the manual, and it looks like the image below.

I have that chart printed and posted on the back cover of my POH for quick and "factual" reference. I also study it (like the rest of my POH) so I know when not to over-react over a red solid or blinking LED. There just aren't any real barn-burners here involving the battery..."unless it is in conjunction with a charging system failure," malfunction or over-voltage. Hopefully you also installed reliable overvoltage protection (which is ALSO stressed by EarthX in their manual). Simply put, EarthX is pretty transparent about their product, their manual is complete, and they're always willing to help. It's our job as builder/owner/pilots to read and understand.

Having said all that, yes, I agree: If there's a problem with any aircraft system and you can't resolve it with the available time and brain bytes, definitely land the aircraft as soon as conditions permit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EarthX LED Legend.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	3357  

Sid "Scroll" Mayeux, Col, USAF (ret)
52F NW Regional/Aero Valley Airport, Roanoke TX (home of DR's Van Cave)
"KELLI GIRL" N260KM RV-7A tipper
Catch her on YouTube's "Because I Fly!" channel

Exemption waived.
Proud and grateful 2021 -=VAF=- Contributor

PS: I am not an influencer. I have no influence. Just ask my kids.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:54 AM

The only problem I've ever encountered with my ETX900 was also related to a solid red warning light - which I actually tracked down to a wiring fault and had nothing to do with the battery at all.

Almost 3 years and 495 hours on it so far.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrollF4 View Post
You know, EarthX ETX batteries ARE indeed highly reliable when installed properly. And charged properly with proper chargers. And the proper battery mated to a compatible alternator. And managed periodically with the PROPER EarthX battery minder/charger. Problems crop up when folks don't read and heed the product manual...which is true for any battery. A motorsport LiFePO battery in a Super Cub is not a match made in heaven.

Regarding the meaning of the warning LED, I'm not sure exactly what EarthX needs to clarify. The meaning is printed right in the manual, and it looks like the image below.

I have that chart printed and posted on the back cover of my POH for quick and "factual" reference. I also study it (like the rest of my POH) so I know when not to over-react over a red solid or blinking LED. There just aren't any real barn-burners here involving the battery..."unless it is in conjunction with a charging system failure," malfunction or over-voltage. Hopefully you also installed reliable overvoltage protection (which is ALSO stressed by EarthX in their manual). Simply put, EarthX is pretty transparent about their product, their manual is complete, and they're always willing to help. It's our job as builder/owner/pilots to read and understand.

Having said all that, yes, I agree: If there's a problem with any aircraft system and you can't resolve it with the available time and brain bytes, definitely land the aircraft as soon as conditions permit.
Been doing this over 45 years, including designing many small and large aircraft electrical systems. In the stated case, there was a fault, indicating the battery was not totally well, and an additional fault may render the battery totally unable to supply power. I fly IFR a lot, yes, I do have an essential buss powered by standby battery, however that battery can not start the motor. Therefore, and without the aid of the main battery, essential buss life is limited, therefore, I will choose to exit IFR if possible, land at nearest suitable airport.

I've flown over 1 million passengers safely to their destination, don't plan to sully that record.
Closed Thread