- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:37 AM

Default Reno Air Races

I'm eliminating one of my bucket list items by attending the Reno air races for the first time. Last year I saw quite a bit of activity on here concerning activities and tips but I haven't seen much this year. I will be there Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Is there anything I need to know as a first timer? I'm flying commercial and staying at El Dorado. I'm really looking forward to seeing the Sport and Formula races.
Maule M5-235C SOLD
C-172G SOLD
Stinson L5 SOLD
Grumman AA1A SOLD
Old 09-09-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrskygod View Post
I'm eliminating one of my bucket list items by attending the Reno air races for the first time. Last year I saw quite a bit of activity on here concerning activities and tips but I haven't seen much this year. I will be there Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Is there anything I need to know as a first timer? I'm flying commercial and staying at El Dorado. I'm really looking forward to seeing the Sport and Formula races.
It can be quite chilly in the morning, wear a long-sleeve sweatshirt over a regular shirt and bring a small backpack for carrying it later. Binoculars and a hand-held radio are must-haves. Get the pit pass, it's well worth it. Sunscreen and hydrate. Cell-phone coverage at the races is amazingly good considering how many people show up for that week. A piece of padded foam to sit on if you are planning on spending much time in the bleachers - I usually watch the races from the flight line while walking the pit area and talking to folks.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:26 PM

If you don't get a pit pass you're missing the whole show! It's the only way to go.

As was mentioned before, it's darned chilly in the morning, so make sure you layer up. It can get pretty warm (or not) as the day goes on. Also it will likely be windy in the afternoon (if not all day). So make sure your hat fits properly. And DO wear a hat. The sun can be brutal at that elevation.

It's a blast. Have fun!

Joe
Old 09-09-2019, 05:47 PM

Default reno

I went two years ago and don't think I will go back. None of the vendors that I saw had air plane stuff. it's not snf or osh by any means. Lots of t shirts and craft stuff and food. It was expenses, long walk from parking. I had pit passes which helped a little to see the planes up close. Ya, It was on my list also so we did it once. Carson City was more fun for our group of four. The Daytona 500 was more interesting to me. Just saying!
Old 09-09-2019, 06:03 PM

Default Reno

Formula One and Biplane races start early. I think around 0800.
Reno is not what it once was. Slow decline since the accident in 2011. The most significant factor is the outrageous cost of fielding a competitive Unlimited comparted to the pathetic winnings. Some Unlimited owners have admitted to spending 1 mil a year. Even that does not reflect current costs. So it unlikely that a return of the top unlimited will ever occur. The limited good news is that Sport Class is the future of Reno IF Reno survives.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:25 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

I agree that if you have RARA on your list, do it now - you just never know when it will go away. As great as the upswing in Sport is for all of us homebuilders, I wouldn’t be confident that they will continue to put the whole affair on if Unlimiteds go away, because the public loves huge sound and fury.

Since you’re a homebuilder, yes...you need a pit pass! I will spend at least part of very day this week up at Stead, and will probably never go into the Grandstand area. Nothing there attracts me. You don’t go to Reno to see aviation vendors - and the few that ARE there are in the pits.

Plan to hang around the pits at least one day after the racing is done - there is a much more relaxed feeling about the place, and folks are just wandering around having a good time. There are planes taking off for photo and test flights, engine ground runs, and its just generally interesting.

Weather should be normal this week - some cold, some hot, some calm, some wind...and it looks like we’ll have smoke from a fire to the northwest. Welcome to Northern Nevada!

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 09-09-2019, 08:06 PM

Not really a place to see lots of vendors.

It is the place is you want to see the biggest collection of fast race planes in the world and spend time with some of the friendliest, most talented pilots and airplane technical people ever collected in one place.

The pits is the place to be to see the cool stuff and mingle. Grandstand, not so much.

If you love engines and motorsports, this is the only place in the world you can hear the unique sounds of really powerful flat engines, big Merlins and radials, the prop noise and the doppler shift as they come around the last pylon before the straight. Truly awesome IMO.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 445.2 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiy...g2GvQfelECCGoQ

Old 09-09-2019, 08:15 PM

Default Reno BBQ

In past years, didn't the RV folks have a Saturday night BBQ at the hangers as soon as the races were finished for the day? I never got to attend, but read about it. Haven't seen any posts for this year.
Scottsdale, AZ
VAF Dues paid Sept, 2020
Old 09-10-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtail View Post
None of the vendors that I saw had air plane stuff. it's not snf or osh by any means.
If you're going to Reno for the vendors you're missing the point of the whole event! It's all about the airplanes and the races. At least, that's the way I see it. When I go, I don't spend 10 minutes looking at the vendors. But I spend the whole week in the pits, looking at the airplanes and talking to the pilots and mechanics. (And sometimes getting my hands dirty if someone needs some help.) It's that kind of event.

No, it's not Oshkosh or SnF. It's not meant to be, and that's a good thing!

Joe
Old 09-10-2019, 09:05 AM

It?ll be my first time to Reno. Can?t wait but had prior commitments so won?t be there until Thursday. I?ll be helping crew Neil W & his RV-8, Race 888. He laid down the fastest time ever for a 4cylinder RV yesterday during a qualifying run. 266mph!!! Amazing speed.