Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2018, 10:55 AM

Default the ADS-B rebate program is ON again !

Just got an email from the FAA a few minutes ago. I'd asked them earlier in the week when it was going to be effective, and they replied and said they'd let me know when. Well, they did it, so those of us who missed the first round have another chance.
https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/rebate/
2001 Quad City Challenger II LW - N28RT SOLD

www.meyette.us/RV-7Ahome.htm
Old 10-12-2018, 11:11 AM

Still rubs me raw that the early adopters got the shaft!
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 10-12-2018, 12:42 PM

Default Probably not eligible, but...?

We had the Navworx EXP working for awhile...
Then we had the uAvionix Echo, which worked for us briefly. After difficulties, we removed it, and we do not currently have ADS-B out.

We never applied for the rebate, first time around (EXP didn't qualify, and we tried the Echo after the first rebate program ended), but we had flights with our tail number broadcasting ADS-B out when we had the Navworx and Echo units. I'm guessing we'd be disqualified from the new rebate program for that reason. Any thoughts otherwise?
Old 10-12-2018, 01:23 PM

They are having issues with the page. Will try again later to see if it is just overloaded right now.
The information that I post is just that; information and my own personal experiences. You need to weight out the pros and cons and make up your own mind/decisions. The pictures posted may not show the final stage or configuration. Build at your own risk.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Doug View Post
We had the Navworx EXP working for awhile...
Then we had the uAvionix Echo, which worked for us briefly. After difficulties, we removed it, and we do not currently have ADS-B out.

We never applied for the rebate, first time around (EXP didn't qualify, and we tried the Echo after the first rebate program ended), but we had flights with our tail number broadcasting ADS-B out when we had the Navworx and Echo units. I'm guessing we'd be disqualified from the new rebate program for that reason. Any thoughts otherwise?
I was disqualified in the Stearman as I had a Garmin 496 driving the Trig Mode S transponder for a few years. They told me since they already detected OUT from the aircraft, it was ineligible, even though the GPS source did not meet the WAAS requirements. I was not happy! I've already made mine compliant, but I do hope they change that requirement.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
Kitplanes "Unairworthy" monthly feature
EAA Sport Aviation "Checkpoints" column
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Author "Pre-Buy Guide for Amateur-Built Aircraft"
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 10-12-2018, 02:19 PM

Thanks, Vic -

I wrote the FAA an email giving my details (including explaining why there would be past ADS-B out records), and I'll report back here if/when I receive a response. I'm not too optimistic, but it's worth a try.

Cheers,
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic syracuse View Post
I was disqualified in the Stearman as I had a Garmin 496 driving the Trig Mode S transponder for a few years. They told me since they already detected OUT from the aircraft, it was ineligible, even though the GPS source did not meet the WAAS requirements. I was not happy! I've already made mine compliant, but I do hope they change that requirement.

Vic
Old 10-12-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic syracuse View Post
I was not happy! I've already made mine compliant, but I do hope they change that requirement.

Vic
Doesn't appear they have...

"Rebates are not available for aircraft already equipped or for which the FAA has paid or committed to upgrade."
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines (aka Hoser)
Old 10-12-2018, 05:31 PM

Default Lowest cost

I don't have a WAAS GPS. For me, it looks like the GDL 82 is the lowest cost option available right now at about $1795. Any others that I'm missing?
Old 10-12-2018, 06:14 PM

Something to consider. We were looking at the GDL 82 as the best option for an aircraft that we have. Once we realized that we would be using the existing existing KT76a with a pretty old Klystron Tube transmitter we concluded that we may be better off looking at one of the new family of transponders with a solid state transmitter as an option.

We are considering the Stratus ESG 1090ES, Garmin GTX 335 as examples. We also took a look at 978 MHz UAT vs. 1090 MHz in our trade study. At the end of the day updating the transponder, getting rid of the altitude encoder and the KT76a made financial sense in the long run.

There will be many of the older tube based transponders available on the used market at low prices so the GDL 82 may be a good option for many others as well.

-larosta
Old 10-12-2018, 07:07 PM

Guess I am going with the GDL 82, there goes my flights above FL 180.

For $500 I will gimp my RV-10 and stay out of the flight levels.
EAA 180
48X