Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:02 PM

Default XM vs ADS-B

Is it worth it?
Is there anyone that has flown with both? Preferably with the G3X system since that's what I have.

I opted to not do XM when I built my panel since I didn't already have a SiriusXM account for anything. But now, with the new GDL 51R coming out this fall, I can add it my system. Mainly for the music. (I have an iPod doc built in too).
The ADS-B info seems pretty darn accurate albeit, somewhat low res. Just need to know if it's worth the $30-40/month for the XM info.

Thanks,
BPE IO-540, FULL EFII
KMYF, San Diego, Ca.
KEOS, Neosho, MO

Crew Chief
Grove Aero Super Legacy Reno Racer,
twin turbo, IO-540,
full EFII management system
!

Race Coordinator STOL Drag coming to Reno, 2019
"so I got that going for me... which is nice."
Old 08-04-2017, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

John

From my perspective, the answer is "no" it is not worth it. I agree that XM has better resolution. I used it for ten years. When I switched to ADS-B and its FIS- B weather, I immediately yearned for my old XM. But frankly the ADS-B is just fine. It shows where the serious/ heavy weather is and that's basically what you want to know so you can avoid it. If you are like me and only need weather a few times a year then the free stuff is sufficient. If you are flying frequently on cross-country then the smoother display of XM and associated cost might be worth it to you. My caveat is that in bad weather XM can have reception issues. At least it did for me. On more than one occasion when I really needed an update, it wasn't there.

Chris
Lycoming O-360-A1A, Hartzell CS
52F (Northwest Regional, Aero Valley, Whatever, TX)
Old 08-04-2017, 08:44 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

I first flew with XM weather back in about 2006 or so - fell in love with it immediately. Doing lots of cross-country in the middle of the continent, I felt like the airplane was broken if the XM was down. I was very skeptical about ADS-B due to resolution and the fact that I was moving to the mountains, where you just don't get good sight-lines to a transmitter until you're airborne, so I was really comfortable having the weather come in by satellite.

Now I have been using ADS-B in all of airplanes for a year or two, and I have to say - its pretty good. Except for the fact that I don't have the audio to keep me entertained on the long legs, I really didn't notice any deficiencies this year on the way to or from Oshkosh. I probably use the METAR's and TAF's as much as I do the NEXRAD, and they work fine. And I have lots of Car Talk podcasts stored on my phone to keep my brain engaged (and laughing) while crossing Souith Dakota and Wyoming (and Utah, and......).

Because of my job, I was fortunate to be subsidized for the XM subscriptions much of the time I was using it, so the cost was not an issue. But its not cheap, and the ADS-B is really more than adequate, especially in the west, so I am not missing XM (much).
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 08-04-2017, 09:08 PM

I've used both. Started with XM and loved it as it was the only thing available. When ADS came out gave it a try. While I'll agree with the better resolution the update rates are better with the ADS. I've seen long period of time between updates with the XM. I prefer the ADS. Canceled XM and haven't been disappointed.
QB wings started
Old 08-04-2017, 09:40 PM

I had xm. I had issues with needing to contact xm to "re-initialize" a few times. Once I lost it in the middle of nowhere. The resolution looks better, but that's misleading. XM has the same latency (delay) issues as ADSB-in wx. I dropped xm wx (I still have xm music in the car, and I move the receiver to the plane when I fly).
Old 08-05-2017, 06:25 AM

I went ADS-B and I'm happy with it. The added features of XM just weren't worth the subscription for me. For music I listen to iTunes on my iPhone over my headset. My wife and kids do the same so everyone is happy listening to their own music.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 08-05-2017, 06:50 AM

For the savings and less hassle factor, I've found ADSB to work fine for me so far in my Cirrus. I haven't had enough x-country time in the -8 yet to assess that, but I do not expect to go back to XM soon. If they lowered the cost, I'd certainly consider it.
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Dynon Skyview HDX, Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Whirlwind 200RV CS Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
https://www.marksrv8.com
Old 08-05-2017, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

I run both the XM and the ADSB in the RV-10. I've noticed that the ADSB does seem to update faster, but the XM seems to load faster, and it also loads while still on the ground. In the Southeast during Thunderstorm season, it is a nice feature to have.

I flew the RV-14 to OSH this year which only has ADSB. I was watching some weather at the half-way destination during the 3 hour leg. I had filed for KLAF, but the weather didn't seem to be moving as fast as I had hoped. I change the destination enroute to KDNV, a little to the west. The rain was showing red on the radar, as was the METAR at the ariport. I had also taken my IPAD with Foreflight and the Stratus, as I didn't want to be without any traffic capabilities when near OSH. As we got north of KHUF I asked for direct to one of the fixes on the apporach to runway 3 into KDNV, as it would take me a little farther West and hopefully let the weather move out of the way. It wasn't looking real hopeful on the G3X, but the Foreflight was updating much more quickly and presented a different weather picture. As it turned out, the Stratus and Foreflight provided very timely information. The rain moved out while about 10 miles away according to Foreflight (but not the G3X), and we landed at KDNV with barely a sprinkle, even though the ground was drenched.

I am going to try to run some more comparisons.. I never had reason to watch 2 different ADSB representations that closely before.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
Kitplanes "Unairworthy" monthly feature
EAA Sport Aviation "Checkpoints" column
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
Author "Pre-Buy Guide for Amateur-Built Aircraft"
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 08-05-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic syracuse View Post
I run both the XM and the ADSB in the RV-10. I've noticed that the ADSB does seem to update faster, but the XM seems to load faster, and it also loads while still on the ground. In the Southeast during Thunderstorm season, it is a nice feature to have.

I flew the RV-14 to OSH this year which only has ADSB. I was watching some weather at the half-way destination during the 3 hour leg. I had filed for KLAF, but the weather didn't seem to be moving as fast as I had hoped. I change the destination enroute to KDNV, a little to the west. The rain was showing red on the radar, as was the METAR at the ariport. I had also taken my IPAD with Foreflight and the Stratus, as I didn't want to be without any traffic capabilities when near OSH. As we got north of KHUF I asked for direct to one of the fixes on the apporach to runway 3 into KDNV, as it would take me a little farther West and hopefully let the weather move out of the way. It wasn't looking real hopeful on the G3X, but the Foreflight was updating much more quickly and presented a different weather picture. As it turned out, the Stratus and Foreflight provided very timely information. The rain moved out while about 10 miles away according to Foreflight (but not the G3X), and we landed at KDNV with barely a sprinkle, even though the ground was drenched.

I am going to try to run some more comparisons.. I never had reason to watch 2 different ADSB representations that closely before.

Vic
That's very interesting. I'm assuming you are using a GDL-39 or GDL-39R for the FIS-B input to the G3X. I wonder why the refresh rate / presentation would be different between the systems since both the Stratus/Foreflight and Garmin solutions rely on the same datalink (although the antennas are presumably in different locations.)
Old 08-05-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic syracuse View Post
Is it possible your iPad's data connection was still on, and it was actually pulling weather live from the internet? That would explain the difference between what the Stratus was seeing and what your built-in system was seeing. Wouldn't explain why the weather wasn't the same on both, of course...