Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-14-2021, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
You want the "VA" with the swirl around it?
good man to pick this up.

you may also want to ask Oly if you can do a headset control module mount for him for a headset that is no longer produced. I simply don't have time for it at the moment but it would be a good project for someone. grow the capabilities on this forum.

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 01-14-2021 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:50 AM

Default iFly 740 GPS Dock

some nice email comments about the fit an function from an iFly installer. it makes me feel useful.

www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 01-15-2021, 09:24 AM

Default Garmin 660 GPS Dock

I received this GPS last Friday and it's shipping back to the owner today, one week turn time. perhaps this is the cutest dock I have made to date. perfect slide release lever action. easy stow and release. the user requested the following dock options; color: black, size: minimum size (4.25 x 6.046 inch), NO .25 inch raised edge. thank you Adam McPeck for loaning me your GPS, I took very good care of it. I know you will like it! strong, reliable and very simple by design.

Outer design dimensions
4.25 x 6.046 inch

Measured dimensions
4.250 x 6.046 inch (check) (and perfectly square and straight)

now for me, I go back to building my loft. this week I also made a 200+ lb wooden beam with a lot of glue that is 21 ft long and now I get to install it. yikes!

www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 01-15-2021 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
I use a USB SD card reader for loading the card for my printer. I've used it that way for four years now. I have a Raspberry Pi sitting in my office that I plan to set up as a dedicated controller for the printer, so I could connect it to the printer, and drag and drop files onto the Raspberry Pi for printing. That would let me monitor progress remotely as well... But i've had the Pi for this for a year now, and still haven't spent the time to get it set up... :P The SD card works, what can I say...
I just got my first 3D printer after Christmas (Ender 3 Pro) and was looking at getting a PI for remote monitoring and file processing. I happened to have an old Mac Book Pro (2002 model, maybe) and decided to load it up with Ubuntu and the Octoprint software. Loading the Octoprint was pretty challenging when not on a dedicated PI. I would eventually like to get it on a PI as to make this whole printer a little more compact and be able to make a case for it.

Steve,
I do have a question about when your printing ABS or ASA. Do you dry your filament or have a drying system for the filament and the printer as I have read that there can be multiple problems if the temps are not controlled specifically and the filament dried out?

Even though I don't have an RV right now, my plan is to start building one (RV-12, unless they significantly change the Light Sport Airplane regulations) in a few years once I get my sport pilot certificate and some hours under my belt.

I own a Pipistrel Alpha Trainer and will be looking at designing\making some gust locks for my plane and I really like how your are all the way through at the gaps. I will have to come up with some unique tethering system as I have a T tail and aileron\flaperons. For gust locks, do I even need them on the ailerons?

Thanks for everyone on this thread and have come up with a bunch of ideas to design some thing for my plane.

Thanks again,
Jeremy
Old 01-17-2021, 03:20 PM

I don't dry most of my filaments but I keep them in containers with desiccants at a relative humidity of less than 10%. pull them to print then place them back in the dry containers. however, I dry the nylon filaments prior to printing. a dry filament will give superior results.

www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 01-17-2021, 07:42 PM

Default RV6 rudder gust lock

a user traced a rudder contour for a custom RV6 gust lock. the difficulty is the trailing edge of this rudder is not consistent thickness. I have found that with the rolled edge rudder type vs the wedge riveted method. however, the rolled edge is actually a stronger rudder trailing edge. the user said the gust lock makes full contact at some location but not at other. I think this will be fine. park it outside, walk away and don't worry about it. it will be fine when you return.

the gust lock is printed to be softer at the outboard edges and essentially solid in the middle. the softer edges help prevent hard spots. I have used mine in high wind conditions for several years and my rudder is in perfect condition with no signs that the gust lock has ever been there.

it wasn't windy today in Cincy but I have a Air Care helicopter not more than 100 ft away that comes and goes. do I ever worry about my rudder.... nope.

www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 01-17-2021 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Melton View Post
good man to pick this up.

you may also want to ask Oly if you can do a headset control module mount for him for a headset that is no longer produced. I simply don't have time for it at the moment but it would be a good project for someone. grow the capabilities on this forum.
I need to do one for the DC One-X, maybe he has the same headset.. LOL
Old 01-21-2021, 08:19 PM

Default small hangar life

Air Care helicopter and me, the ultimate gust lock proving ground. they usually depart right over my hangar and shake everything. I used to think helicopters were cool. now I'm not so sure.

10 ply carbon fiber layup underneath the reddy heater at about 4 psi pressure. cure temperature is about 10C and is dropping. hopefully, it doesn't generate much heat.

the layup is 10 ply carbon fiber epoxy West System fast cure (10x36 inch), then peel ply, then absorb mat, then foam load spreader.

www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 01-21-2021 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:36 PM

Default CF patch bonded to a wooden beam

OK. this was my first attempt at CF and I would do it differently next time but overall it's not too bad. compaction appears to be good and the edges are tapered about an inch and transition well. I am happy with it and will be a good bolting surface for a winch or something. I wanted some CF and this is what I could afford.

the next time I would de-gase the surface coat resin with a vacuum chamber. I have a vacuum camber but everything is in such a mess I didn't use it. I probably should de-gase all the resin I use from now on.

peel ply removed

added a coat of epoxy

www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 01-22-2021 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:32 AM

Default Aera 660 GPS Dock passes customer inspection

Dock looks great! Thank you!

-Adam

good deal.

that was about 16 hrs of design work from start to finished product in the hand. the longest elapsed time was the shipping time. 2 weeks from in my hand to back in his hand. need to eliminate the shipping process. think about that.

www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 01-23-2021 at 11:43 AM.