Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:06 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Default Climbing Through 10,000....

Thanks to Rosie for alerting me to the funny number up in my post counter window - 9,999....I stopped paying attention to it some time ago. But it would be a shame not to recognize the amazing benefits I have received in my life from participating in Doug's little social experiment here on VAF. I joined the forum when Doug created the site back in 2005(ish), and have enjoyed both the social and the technical aspects of the community ever since. I owe a lot of my success in my "second career" in aviation journalism to the presence of this site as a place to practice.

VAF has always tried to be a bit of civility in an internet world where people forget that they are speaking in public, and often say the darnedest things.....you wonder sometimes if the entire population of the 'net was raised by wolves. The goal has always been to create a place where people could come and ask questions without being slammed as ignorant beginners - and overall, folks do pretty well. When we chase someone away because they are made to feel foolish, it is the community that has failed - not the questioner.

Anyway - to the point. I have been a little quiet this week because we lost my father a few days ago. He was 89 years old, lived a full life, was a member of the Greatest Generation (USS Aaron Ward, DM34, almost sunk at Okinawa...). He wanted to be a Naval Aviator in the war, but couldn't pass the color test - and he encouraged me in my own aviation career, one he couldn't have. Dad taught me (among many other things) that you need to learn to communicate with - and understand - other people if you are going to be successful ... at anything! He was a mathematics educator all of his adult life - and generations of Minnesota students benefitted from his work in problem solving curriculums used throughout the state. He even left us a math problem to be placed in his funeral bulletin. That's dedication!

In addition to making sure I learned my math, he always emphasized the importance of reading and the importance of reading a lot in developing good writing skills - and I am tempted to believe that he was right....

Dad flew with me a number of times in my life, but by the time my RV came along, he was no longer limber enough to climb over a cockpit rail - so didn't get the chance to fly in the airplanes I built. But he was with us in spirit.

Dad - this 10,000th post is for you!

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com

Last edited by Ironflight : 07-03-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:19 PM

Thanks Paul, very touching for me. Today I was able to give both my parents a ride in my RV, Very Thankful...
Old 07-03-2014, 09:23 PM

What a beautiful tribute to your Dad.

My condolences on your loss.
Airworthiness Inspection complete--waiting on the certificate
Old 07-03-2014, 09:39 PM

So sorry for your loss Paul. Sounds like your father was a pretty sharp man. My father was from the same generation and the same basic thought process. It's been 10 years since he passed and I still miss him. I was lucky enough to get to fly with my dad in the 4 a few times, something he really enjoyed.
A very nice post or toast to your father.
Ryan
Old 07-03-2014, 09:50 PM

Default Here here

Paul,
When I first explored VAF years ago, your professional approach to all aspects of this community quickly caught my attention. Now reading your insightful background about your father, it makes even more sense that the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree.

As the sun sets here tonight, I reflect on your family's loss. I am also thankful for the son he crafted, plus his many other students who benefitted from his professional example and continue sharing his spirit. While I never met him or even you in person, I am convinced he was one of the best our country ever had in uniform and serving in other very meaningful ways like education.

Thank you for providing a positive example in our VAF and overall GA communities, plus the chance to know a bit about your father. Tailwinds and following seas...
Prior partner in RV-9a & RV-10
Now flying RV-10 #40515
Old 07-03-2014, 09:51 PM

Default Sounds like a real role model

I'm sure he was proud of your achievements too. Sorry for your loss.
2021 =VAF= donor
Old 07-03-2014, 10:10 PM

Congrats on your 10k! Losing a Dad is tough. My condolences. My Dad passed away Feb last year, would have been 89 now. He was on the USS Guam at Iwo Jima and then went into China until it was liberated. US Marines.

Keep it up until 15k if Kitplanes does not burn you out

RV-7
Lord Kelvin:
“I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about,
and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you
cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge
is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind.”
Old 07-04-2014, 12:38 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Congratulations!!

Paul, time to put on the O2

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 07-04-2014, 12:43 AM

Sorry to hear that Paul. Nice reflection of your Dad, I'm sure he very pleased with his son.

BRONZE, SILVER & GOLD LINDY AWARD WINNING RV's & Rockets

EAA Oshkosh Homebuilt Judge/Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor FAST Formation Flight Lead

Kitfox/RV4/6/7/8/9/10/12/14
6 RV10's
2 Time Sun’nFun Grand Champion
F1 Rocket #1 Oshkosh Gold Lindy Grand Champion!
F1 Rocket #2
Fastback RV8 Slider
RV14 #2 flying
RV10 #7 in progress

55 RV's & Rockets

WW Prop Dealer

Love my Pitts S1S
Old 07-04-2014, 03:39 AM

Paul, we've not met in person. Not yet. But I follow all your posts with great interest. This one really hit home. I lost my Dad a year ago. He would be 86 now. He was not an aviator. In fact, he was afraid of airplanes for many years. But he loved helping me work on my 7A. He was a veteran, too, having served in the Navy.

When I first started, I told him I had a dream... I wanted to take him flying up to Montana some day to have lunch with my aunt (his sister). We could be home in time for dinner. He scoffed at the idea, saying "ahhhgg... you'll never get me up in one of these contraptions". After helping me for some time, though, seeing the quality of the kit components and how it was all coming together, he changed his tune, no longer scoffing at the idea. He was so impressed with it all. He and my Mom enjoyed going to fly-ins with us. He marveled at all the airplanes, loved watching them fly. Last time I reminded him that I still had that dream on my mind, he simply said "you better hurry up and get this thing finished... I'm going to get old one of these days!"

We never did get to make that trip. But he mainly enjoyed the tools, the shop, seeing the things I was doing, and just hanging out with me. He loved building things. A good number of the rivets in my plane are perfectly driven, thanks to him.

Here, he helped me assemble the mains, grease up the bearings, and put it all together. I could list a lot of examples of his help.

Thankfully, I still have my Mom, and I'm hoping to do some flying with her in the very near future. Thanks again for your post. What a great tribute to your Dad.
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com