-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:53 PM

That is absolutley priceless!!! Awesome!
Old 01-01-2010, 08:03 AM

Default Goosebumps!!

....just thinking what our RV's can accomplish

That, and genuine guys like Pete.

Blessed, Happy New Year,
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:13 PM

Default Rescued Dog Airlift on New Year's Eve

I couple days ago I read PeteHowell's story about flying the very emaciated Boxer to a new home and better life. I was captivated by the plight of the dog and his chance for recovery thanks to Howell and his trusty RV airplane. I checked the website for the group PilotsnPaws and noticed a rescued dog needed transportation in my home state California. I got excited about helping another of "man's best friend" start a new life.

I contacted the rescue organization in San Diego requesting the transportation for the dog and discovered the dog was a 12 year old, 120 pound Rhodesian Ridgeback that had been abandoned!! Clearly too big for the front, back, or front and back of my RV6A. Fortunately, the owner of the company I fly for part time has a helicopter, loves dogs and flying, and was ready to go.

December 31st in Southern California was possibly the most beautiful flying day of the year. (Watch the Rose parade or Rose Bowl and you will see what I mean) From altitude you could see 120 miles from San Diego to Los Angeles, the offshore islands fifty miles away looked like they were ten miles away.

The gentle Rhodesian Ridgeback "Cooper" was 120 pounds and took up the whole back seat of the Bell Jet Ranger but once we figured out how to get him in, he seemed to enjoy the flight and a few snacks enroute to his new home and expectant new parents near Van Nuys airport including a fly-by of the Hollywood sign.

Flying Young Eagles is always satisfying and enjoyable and this flight was the same. That PilotsnPaws organization looks like a good opportunity for the RV pilot community to help out with some of their transportation needs.

I have some pictures of "cooper" flying I will post when I figure out how to do that.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:32 PM

What a funny video of Sully!

I have had 3 boxers in my life - Peanut grew up with our boys and was probably the finest dog I have ever known. She would talk like Sully if you looked at her and said "mama". She managed to say "mama" a couple of times over the years!

We now have boxer sisters - Sophie and Daisy, said I'd never have another dog after Peanut... Went to look and came home with 2!

I have a tremendous soft spot for this breed and it is GREAT to see Sully with his 2 possessions in the world - new collar and new blanket and in a warm and kind place!

Thanks for the update Pete.
Whirlwind RV200
Dual PMags

Pitts S-1S Restoration in process!

Minneapolis, MN
Old 01-01-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
David...I just have to ask! What is the color scheme for painting your brother?!
Even though we are both in our 50's, I have a little brother that I still owe some payback for our younger years!

David Estapa
Woodstock, GA
RV-9A N97KE (Flying Soon)
Kitfox 5 N97DE (Grounded engine out into a bean field)
Old 01-03-2010, 06:41 PM

Default Sully Update

Once again, I think he will do just fine......

Amateur Plane - RV-9A N789PH - 2350+ Hrs
Amateur Radio - KD0CVN
Doggies Delivered - 25+
St. Paul, MN
Old 01-18-2010, 09:18 AM

Default Sully Update 2

Sully continues to thrive!

Amateur Radio - KD0CVN
Doggies Delivered - 25+
St. Paul, MN
Old 01-18-2010, 09:47 AM

What a great group of buddies. Thats awesome.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:04 PM

Default Not Good....Not Fair

From the Foster Family:

Hello everyone! It breaks my heart to have to tell you all this, but I had an appointment for Sully yesterday afternoon, as he was still in pain, still limping and still not eating the greatest...not good news!!! It appears, but has to be confirmed yet that Sully has bone cancer, which appears to have spread to his lungs. Normally the treatment would be to amputate his leg that is cancerous, but in his case since it has spread, they would nota amputate and he would have about 5 months. There is a small chance that it COULD BE a fungal disease, but they are leaning more towards cancer. We are getting a urine sample today to send off the the University of Indiana, as the U of M does not test for that and Blasto (fungal disease) is not common at all in Minnesota. They could do the bone biopsy, but with Sully not being very healthy yet, it would not be a good idea and wouldn't be safe for him. I'm an emotional wreck!!! He does not deserve this! He's been through enough!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I had better news....I should know the results the beginning of next week....I will let you all know ASAP once I hear anything!

Amateur Radio - KD0CVN
Doggies Delivered - 25+
St. Paul, MN
Old 02-04-2010, 04:26 PM

Default Such sad news

He's been through a lot. Let's hope he beats the odds.
GNC255 Nav/Com, GA240 audio panel)
RV8, N188PD "Valkyrie" (by marriage)