-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-06-2021, 09:58 AM

Where do you find this IFR/12,000 ft rule? I just spoke to St Augustine, Fl customs agent and he said in order to clear customs North of Ft Pierce, Fl from the Bahamas ,under 91 regulations, you need an overflight permit regardless of flight plan or altitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8ER View Post
If you are IFR capable and your aircraft can fly at 12,000' or above you do not need to stop at the nearest airport of entry when coming back to the US. If you are neither of those then you must stop to clear customs at the nearest airport with customs. I have been to Ft Pierce and can say that when we were there they were courteous and professional. You can get the information you need directly from the Bahamas tourism website describing the procedures and don't need to buy a book for $34.95, although it is a nice book. The Bahamian tourism ministry also often run deals to reimburse for avgas if you stay a certain period of time in country on the islands.

https://www.bahamas.com/getting-here/private-aviation

Things to note:
You must file an EAPIS for your flight inbound and outbound
https://eapis.cbp.dhs.gov/auth/login...594.1609484072
No night VFR in the Bahamas.
You can buy a US customs sticker for the plane before you leave (takes weeks to get in the mail) or pay a fee at customs when you get back sans the sticker.
https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov/main/#%20

File a plan leaving the US.
Arrive at airport of entry in Bahamas and get a cruise permit.
Fly from island to island and enjoy the scenery.
Depart from airport of entry from Bahamas and pay fee.
Make sure to file a plan coming back to the US and establish radio contact before crossing the ADIZ.
Land at nearest US customs airport and clear customs OR fly at 12k on IFR plan to customs airport of choice.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publ...ions/airspace/

Our favorite place to stay in the Exumas is Staniel Kay. The Chamberlain cottages are competitive for the island and have nice accommodations. Rent a 17-20'ish boat and you will take yourself and wife to many of the things to do while there. Google will tell you all about them but the Bond Thunderball grotto is there, swimming pigs, iguana islands, a few aircraft crash sites, etc. all only accessible by boat.
Pitts S2B- sold
Chattanooga, Tn
Dues Paid
Old 01-06-2021, 10:15 AM

Have not flown the Bahamas since they shut it down (Covid). I used to have an Overflight since Sanford, FL. (KSFB has a CBP facility but Ft Fierce has been easier.
I have 8" numbers and have never had a comment. I do not have a radio license and have never been asked.
Never had an issue with ADIZ but fly IFR.
US doesn't even require the same paperwork since 2018-2019 so Ft Pierce was 5 minutes tops.

File IFR
Take life jackets and maybe raft
Pre-file E-APIS
Get CBP sticker in advance. Good for the year.
Have a current Passport.
Take a smile and patience. Bahamas time is real Slooooooow.
Catto three blade prop
http://www.mykitlog.com/MarkW
Old 01-06-2021, 12:31 PM

Default Private Flyers - Overflight permission (exemption to flyover)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy View Post
Where do you find this IFR/12,000 ft rule? I just spoke to St Augustine, Fl customs agent and he said in order to clear customs North of Ft Pierce, Fl from the Bahamas ,under 91 regulations, you need an overflight permit regardless of flight plan or altitude.
Last time we landed in Ft Pierce I picked up a flyer detailing the overflight permit. It had minimum 12,500' (correction) and IFR listed on it as requirements. Odd that they would require you to be flying on a westerly heading IFR at a minimum of 12,500 but that is the way.

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Artic...language=en_US
Old 01-06-2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy View Post
And the officer is correct. Remember there is a LOT of misinformation on the INTERNET and yes even here on VAF.

BTW, I personally know that particular Officer.

I believe they are confusing the rules for direct flights between US territories, which is a very different thing. Direct flights between US territories (an example is between Puerto Rico and Florida) can be done without clearing US Customs or Immigrations if IFR above 12,500ft. It is a dommestic flight, just like Florida to Alabama. You must still clear Agriculture if required.

None of this applies to flights to/from the Bahamas.

2020 Donation made
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com

Last edited by GalinHdz : 01-06-2021 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalinHdz View Post
And the officer is correct. Remember there is a LOT of misinformation on the INTERNET and yes even here on VAF.

BTW, I personally know that particular Officer.

I believe they are confusing the rules for direct flights between US territories, which is a very different thing. Direct flights between US territories (an example is between Puerto Rico and Florida) can be done without clearing US Customs or Immigrations if IFR above 12,500ft. It is a dommestic flight, just like Florida to Alabama. You must still clear Agriculture if required.

None of this applies to flights to/from the Bahamas.

Nope, not confusing direct flights between territories. The rules for the over flight permit include IFR plan and 12.5k altitude requirments I mentioned and are indeed what I was referencing.