-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-03-2021, 04:27 PM

The spar is the same on the 7 and 9 except for its length. Torque a bolt with a stubby wrench some day and then do it with the longer wrench. You will soon see that you can exert far more torque with the longer wrench. Itís the same with the wing. Any lift created at the end of the 9 wing exerts far more twisting action than the shorter wing of the 7.

The 9 wing is designed for efficient climb and higher altitude cruise speed. I love mine for cross country. I will maybe try to get some aerobatic training in my next plane Rans s21. Itís rated at 6 g. A very experienced pilot, whom I trust implicitly regarding aero, told me to get aerobatic training in a far less slippery airframe than a vans rv.Iím taking his advice.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:38 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZ View Post
The spar is the same on the 7 and 9 except for its length. Torque a bolt with a stubby wrench some day and then do it with the longer wrench. You will soon see that you can exert far more torque with the longer wrench. Itís the same with the wing. Any lift created at the end of the 9 wing exerts far more twisting action than the shorter wing of the 7.

The 9 wing is designed for efficient climb and higher altitude cruise speed. I love mine for cross country. I will maybe try to get some aerobatic training in my next plane Rans s21. Itís rated at 6 g. A very experienced pilot, whom I trust implicitly regarding aero, told me to get aerobatic training in a far less slippery airframe than a vans rv.Iím taking his advice.
That is sound advice!!!
Old 01-03-2021, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZ View Post

So with that said, just arm chair thinking I wonder if someone could do a clipped wing 9. HMMMM...
Old 01-03-2021, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty1295 View Post
So with that said, just arm chair thinking I wonder if someone could do a clipped wing 9. HMMMM...
Sure! It has been done. It is called a -7 with a different horizontal stab. .
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
Old 01-03-2021, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scard View Post
Sure! It has been done. It is called a -7 with a different horizontal stab. .
And wing airfoil.
Old 01-04-2021, 01:50 AM

Default Wing tips

You could remove the big wingtips and put end plates on and save some wingspan but anything more would be extensive because the flaps and ailerons would have to be shortened. The wingtips have some efficiencies built in with those outer tips moving the wing vortexes away so you may end up with no net gain. Who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty1295 View Post

RV-3 Sold
RV-4 Sold
RV-6a Sold
RV-9 IO-360 CS, Built and Flying
Aerostar 600A, Family Hotrod
Old 01-04-2021, 10:40 AM

Default no aerobatics

like others I've been temped to do aerobatics in the 9 but so far I have resisted. no rolls or loops. I hope I can continue to resist. if the 9 had been designed for aerobatics I would do them but since it was not I don't. simple as that.

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 01-04-2021 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:58 AM

Just to throw a log on the fire.

The 9 cannot do advanced aerobatics, but you can roll just about anything...RV9A or a Boeing 707 if you stay at 1G. The plane doesn't know up from down as long as you maintain that 1G. The 9A has a better roll rate than a lot of airplanes which are rated for aerobatics.

Just sayin'...

3.2.1...begin flaming.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/h8feirnUvasoByGB9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SvYPfa72QEboQR9J8

Building - Zenith 750 [11323] CruzerDuty27.5
N67LJ RV9-A [90504] - SOLD
N83LJ Sonex [0864] - SOLD

https://rvpilotlife.wordpress.com/blog/home/

Last edited by jjbardell : 01-04-2021 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbardell View Post
Just to throw a log on the fire.

The 9 cannot do advanced aerobatics, but you can roll just about anything...RV9A or a Boeing 707 if you stay at 1G. The plane doesn't know up from down as long as you maintain that 1G. The 9A has a better roll rate than a lot of airplanes which are rated for aerobatics.

Just sayin'...

3.2.1...begin flaming.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/h8feirnUvasoByGB9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SvYPfa72QEboQR9J8
I fully expected this.

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 01-04-2021, 01:01 PM

If I had an RV-9 and I wanted to do acro, I would certainly put it on a video for my Insurance company to see. It would probably help with my rates to show how good I fly.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>